Newbie that doesn't want to screw up the pool. PLEASE HELP!

Jun 26, 2012
Tolono, IL
Hello all,
I just bought a pool from Great Escape. Being a newbie (and this being an unresearched purchase - I know, I know), they offered us the Nature 2 Vision Pro, because it is worry free. I stumbled onto this sight before the pool was even installed, so I have never used it. Our first liner had a hole in it, so they installed a new one on June 26th. I wanted to do this right, so I studied Pool School (and am still a little uneasy about what I'm doing). At any rate, I took my pool water to the local pool store to have it tested (since my TF1000 hadn't yet arrived). They used a ClearCare Expert computerized testing system and the results follow.
The first test showed:
FC: .07
CC: .06
TA: 176
pH: 8.4
CH: 85
CYA: 60
TDS: 150
SI: .6

They recommeded I put 4# of pH Down in and 12# of Poolife Calcium Plus and to use the Nature2. I did all of this, except I added the recommended amount of bleach to get the pool to 6ppm, and returned to them approximately 24 hrs later.
FC: 0
CC: .02
TA: 159
pH: 7.5
CH: 136
CYA: 32
TDS: 400
SI: -0.1

They again recommended 12# of Poolife Calcium Plus, which I did. Since I didn't fully understand how things worked (i.e., why I wasn't keeping chlorine in the pool), I added the recommended amount of cal hypo to bring the FC to 6 ppm.
My test kit finally arrived yesterday so I could get the accurate results. I tested it at 5 pm yesterday and got these results:

FC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 180 ppm
CH: 150 ppm
CYA: This is where my problem is. I used the test kit and redid it several times and I filled the "CYA check tube" all the way to the brim (very slowly as it said) and I could still see the black dot. As a result, I'm assuming that my Chlorine loss is the lack of CYA, so I decided to put the recommended amount of chlorine to once again bring it up to 6 ppm ( I actually went a little over that adding the whole large bleach bottle instead of the 168 oz). I retested between an hour and a half and 2 hours later and got these results:

FC: 8 ppm
TA: 170 ppm
CH: 180 ppm
CYA: Again, I followed the directions to a T (my wife actually complains, because I'm the guy that reads the parts list in the instruction manual before he starts the project and actually follows the instruction manual :-D ). Again, I slowly filled up the CYA tube to the top and could still see the black dot. I know decided that I would follow Step 5 in the "Beginner's Guide to Seasonal/Temporary Pools". I believed that I am as balanced as possible (outside of the lack of chlorine and possible lack of CYA), so I put 27 oz of Dichlor in the pool (diluted in a bucket of pool water poured in front of the return -- and I even waited until everyone got out of the pool).

I tested the water tonight before round 2 of the dichlor and got these results:

FC: 1.5 ppm
TA: 180 ppm
CH: 190 ppm
CYA: Again, all the way to the top of the tube and I could still see the black dot.

Now that you have the background, here are my questions. Is the lack of CYA (if that is truly the case) the reason for my high chlorine loss?? Or is it because this pool sits in direct sunlight most of the day (1/3 of the pool has about 2 to 3 hours of shade)? The only swimmers in the pool since the 2nd new liner was put in was last night. I read that CYA doesn't dissipate, so what would explain the drop of CYA from the first pool store test to the 2nd test?? What is my next step, because I'm stressing myself out about this?!?!?! I don't want a green monster!! I also WANT to use BBB, because I like what I've read on this website. I just feel like I'm missing something. PLEASE HELP!!

Re: Newbie that doesn't want to screw up the pool. PLEASE H

The high loss is likely due to the lack of CYA. The CYA protects the FC from the sun.

You not to keep track how much dichlor you have used as the CYA may not show on the test right away

This is a liner pool right? There is no reason to be adding calcium that is a waste of money.

Sounds like to are heading in the right direction and found the best resource to help you get straight. :goodjob:

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

What does the water look like? Honestly, it sounds like you've got a good starting grasp on things.....trust in yourself. :)

My liner is vinyl. The water looks clear and was sparkling last night in the moonlight. I was just afraid that I was misreading the CYA test and would end up having to drain the pool, AGAIN!! Unless someone thinks otherwise, I will continue with step 5 (testing before and adding the dichlor to try to bring up the CYA levels). BTW, I have added 54 oz of dichlor (total for the 2 nights) and will be adding another 54 oz over the next two nights (27 oz each night). Also, how often should I be running my pump during this whole thing?? I understand that once I'm balanced, I shouldn't be running it 24/7 (correct??). Am I supposed to be running it continuously while I'm getting it balanced?? Anyone else have any suggestions or comments, please send them my way, I'm all ears!! Thanks again. This website rocks!! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.