Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More grocery store chemicals :)

1. Back To Top    #1

More grocery store chemicals :)

Put this in the BBB forum because of the nature of my question - please move if it belongs in a better location

OK, so I do my full test tonight (as I do every Sunday), and find that my pH is getting a little high (I have a hard time reading the color chart, but it is definitely at the high end). Before I get to my question, here are my results;

FC = 3
    CC = .25
    TC = 3.25
    TA = 120
    CH = 230
    pH = 8.2
    CYA = 34
    Temp ~89

The water is crystal-clear and beautiful

We are in a huge drought here in southern Tennessee, so I have been adding municipal water via a fountain quite often (which might be causing my pH to rise).

So, I refer to the calculator to see the amount of acid to add and it made me think of something....

One of the areas I dabble in is the printing industry, and printing inks and chemicals are affected greatly by pH. Water-based printing inks typically run in the 8.5 - 9.4 pH range, so the chemical used to clean the tooling needs to be higher to be effective. I remember one guy in the business (this has been a few years ago, but it stuck in my mind) said that the chemical used was so high in pH that it was unsafe to dispose of until the pH was lowered. The method used for lowering the pH to the safe range?

Orange juice from the break area (~1% acid pH of ~3.5)

Adding a liter or so of minute maid OJ brought the cleaner into the safe range, and it could be disposed of in a non-hazardous manner.

So, to my question.....

Would Orange Juice be an effective (BBB-type) "chemical" that could be used to control pH?

*Bonus question: will pH of 8.2 cause any harm to swimmers (should I shut the pool down until I lower the pH)?
    **Bonus question 2: As a new lover of the BBB method (never going back to the pool store..... ever), I hadn't thought if bleach could be affecting the pH. After Googling 'what is the pH of bleach', I see that it had a pH of ~12.6. Does this impact the pH level at all?

Thanks -

Tony
    17k gal, Swim Pro Sand filter (Filt. rate 25gpm/ft^2, Flt/BW 80gpm), AG, Vinyl, 1HP Haywood power pro LX pump (60gpm), TF-100 Test kit, Speedstir

Carl Spackler: "You got a pool over there?"
    Ty Webb: "We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you."

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More grocery store chemicals :)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM
    *Bonus question: will pH of 8.2 cause any harm to swimmers (should I shut the pool down until I lower the pH)?
    Get that ph down. I would not let it ever get above 7.8 and defiently not above 8.0. The test generally reads 8.2 for ph above that, so you do not know how high you are! Do it before swimmers are allowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM
    **Bonus question 2: As a new lover of the BBB method (never going back to the pool store..... ever), I hadn't thought if bleach could be affecting the pH. After Googling 'what is the pH of bleach', I see that it had a pH of ~12.6. Does this impact the pH level at all?
    For practical purposes bleach is effectively ph neutral.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the sugar in orange juice would be a big problem in the pool.

pH of 8.2 is not nice to the eyes and skin, so fix that before you let swimmers into the pool.

pH of bleach does affect pH of pool but for very short time, we tend to disregard it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Get that ph down. I would not let it ever get above 7.8 and defiently not above 8.0. The test generally reads 8.2 for ph above that, so you do not know how high you are! Do it before swimmers are allowed in.
    That's what I thought, and will be dropping it in the morning. It may be closer to 7.8 - I really have trouble with the color-matching but always assume on the extreme side to be safe. Can I expect the wife and kids to start growing extra limbs from swimming in high pH water?
    17k gal, Swim Pro Sand filter (Filt. rate 25gpm/ft^2, Flt/BW 80gpm), AG, Vinyl, 1HP Haywood power pro LX pump (60gpm), TF-100 Test kit, Speedstir

Ty Webb: "We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you."

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    pH of 8.2 is not nice to the eyes and skin, so fix that before you let swimmers into the pool.
    Yea, I will be dropping it in the morning for sure. Planning a party for the 4th, so there probably will not be anyone in it until then anyway. I don't think that any harm will be done from it being a little high (sea water is between 7.5 - 8.4), but I like to keep it 'right on the money' if possible.

I do think that i will quit using the fountain so much to keep it from climbing back up towards 8.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pH test looks mostly pink, you can assume it is high. I find the orange is clearly different than the pink.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    If the pH test looks mostly pink, you can assume it is high. I find the orange is clearly different than the pink.
    So, going forward it is better to err on the low side versus the high side? I can definitely do better with differentiation of the orange tint versus the shades of pink.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well you do not want to really get below 7.2 either. Too high or too low can irritate the eyes and either damage equipment or cause scaling.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh yea - the goal is to keep it on the money, but I may shoot for the bottom end tomorrow, since it seems that I tend to climb due to either my water supply or method of getting it in there. Will be easier for me to notice the rise more than anything as the shade goes to the pink side.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I think the sugar in orange juice would be a big problem in the pool.
    I hadn't thought about the sugar. Did some checking and there are a few brands that have 'no added sugar' (Tropicana, for instance) - but there still is some natural sugars present it seems.

11. Back To Top    #11

The sugar will be a problem (OJ is naturally high in sugar), and the assorted organics will also be a problem. You will use up a fair bit of chlorine "cleaning up" the orange juice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Yea... figured that it would be a stretch but it made for some fun thoughts. I can imagine the look on my wife's face as I added the OJ while she was in the pool...

With the +105 degree heat we have been having, I could have thrown in some other fruits and vegetables and told her I was preparing a stew.