Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine chart?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine chart?

Is there a printable chart somewhere that tells the increase of FC levels based on how much bleach you add? Perhaps I am lazy, but it's a long way out to the pool, and I have to walk back in to plug my numbers into the Pool Calculator, and go back out to add bleach. I have a dumb phone, so I cannot use an app to carry it out with me. I'd like to be able to print something out, laminate it, and keep it with my test kit. I've searched the site, but cannot find one.

Thanks!
    27,000 gal. IG vinyl
    Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine chart?

The numbers are different for every pool, depending on it's size. You could make one up for your pool fairly easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you had an old ti-85 calculator lying around you could probably transfer the calculations into that, I'm pretty sure I read that the pool calculator formulas are available....Or do the math yourself....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Last year I used a sharpie to mark levels on my measuring cup. Before hand I went through the calculator and figured up what was needed to raise .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. I drew big lines at the whole numbers and did a small dash for the .5s.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Last year I used a sharpie to mark levels on my measuring cup. Before hand I went through the calculator and figured up what was needed to raise .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. I drew big lines at the whole numbers and did a small dash for the .5s.
    +1. Exactly what I did, except I only go up to 2 (for bleach, 4 for LC). The KISS principle in action.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you can dose easily based on knowing what one jug does to the FC. I don't dose using exact ounces, but usually go over just a tad.
    An example for me would be if I needed to add 2 PPM FC, I'd just add one 96oz. bottle of bleach and that would add about 2.6 ppm FC to my 18K pool.

Examples for your 35K gal pool :

One 96 oz. jug of 6% will add 1.3 FC
    One 128 oz. jug of 6% will add 1.8 FC
    One 182 oz. jug of 6% will add 2.5 FC

One 128 oz. jug of 10% will add 2.9 FC
    One 128 oz. jug of 12.5% will add 3.6 FC
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    +1. Exactly what I did, except I only go up to 2 (for bleach, 4 for LC). The KISS principle in action.
    Comparing the sizes of our pools, I'm betting I can get a lot more marks on my measuring cup than you! (Unless you really have a big one!)

When I did the marks, I believe I was using an 8 cup measuring cup (and I marked up to 5.5 I think). It got left outside all year and through the winter and was brittle this year so I tossed it. Now I have a 4.5 cup measuring cup and I confess to just filling it up and adding it most days. (That works out to between 3-4ppm FC for my pool). About once a week I'll use the FAS-DPD test to see where I am at. Use the OTO a few times a week to check pH and make sure my chlorine is still a bright yellow.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have it even easier. It conveniently works out that 2 cups of 12.5% will raise FC by 1 ppm for me. I don't need pool calculator to do the math
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up making a chart and keeping it in my test kit. Then I got a smart phone, and so I have the poolcalculator with me. It's marvelous. But I'm going to make a new chart and laminate it. Once things get balanced, a chart is simpler.
    27,000 gal. IG vinyl
    Hayward cartridge filter