Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to shock?

Following the bbb method for 6 weeks, everything in target ranges and and pool looks great

Questions
    I keep FC between 1.0 and 4/5.0, is there ever a need to shock or not really ?

I have left over Leslie's phos free pool perfect and fresh n clear from last year, should I use or toss?

Thx
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to shock?

Your FC level depends on your CYA level, so there's no way of knowing with the info you gave us if you have enough FC. If you let it slip below the threshold, and get algae, then you will need to perform the shock process. Which is not a one-time dose.Pool Schoolshould explain things for you.

Many of us never shock our pools. We keep the chemicals balanced and algae never starts.

Phosfree is just a profit generator for Leslies. It won't hurt anything if you use it up, but you shouldn't need it. Consider phosphates to be wood, and algae to be flame. If you remove the wood, the flame has nothing to burn. If you have no flame, who cares how much wood there is?

The fresh n clear is monopersulfate. I've never used it, never seen it recommended here, so I have no idea if it has any value.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If your FC goes down to 1.0, that is too low.

The mps is a non-chlorine oxidizer and you could keep it around if you like...I don't know about it's shelf life.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

my cya is about 45 - FC is usually 2.0 to 4.0 --- once in a while it falls to 1.0 - but not for more than a day.
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

5. Back To Top    #5

With that CYa level----you should never let your FC fall below a minimum of 3 to 4. See the CYA/clorine chart in pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

makes sense, thanks for the reminder.
    should I shock since its been a bit lower? or no need if I don't see algae and my CC has been 0?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Perform the OCLT. If you pass, then there is no need to shock. It's in Pool School
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

ok, will try that.

have a question about backwashing a DE filter.
    usually backwash when pressure rises 10 lbs but hasn't risen since right after opening.
    still cycling water fine, pool is very clear.

should I backwash just to change out the DE or is that not necessary? (wondering if my pressure gauge is malfunctioning) it did rise when I first opened, so I backwashed once this year in mid May.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I would suggest a backwash @ a 25% increase over clean psi....No reason to backwash if you haven't reached that.
    Dave S.