I Definitely Need Help With My Pool

Jul 1, 2012
Ok guys and gals, sorry about all the caps in the title but lately thats all i've been thinking in lol.
Any let me fill you in on my story and my issues and hopefully someone can help. I recent undertook the opening of my mothers pool. She just purchased the home and all i knew about the pool when i started was that it was in ground, 21000 gallons, did not have a filter or pump and did not have a bottom drain. That was last week.

In that time i have installed a hayward S244t series sand filter and a hayward 1.5 horsepower superpump. I have one inlet to the filter which is the skimmer and i have been alternating that with droping the vacuum pole and leaving upside down on the bottom to clean down low.

I raked the bottom countless times so there is no large debris, also i was instructed today to shock with 19 pounds of shock in order to raise my fc level which was at zero this morning and my tc was 4.7. all other levels are good other than the chlorine.

My question is where do i go from here.

I will check my levels tomorrow and see where i stand, i know i'm gonna have to put the pool on a chlorine regimen soon.

I'm tired of buy tons of chemicals and cleaning when i can't even see the bottom yet. The water is now a bluish green and its a bit cloudy, im not sure is all the particles are being filtered so that worries me, I know this is a huge issue with alot of holes lol but if anyone has any tips it would be appreciated because i've talked to countless people i know and they all have there own theories that don't seem to work.

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Re: I definitely need help with my pool!

Using 19 lbs of shock all at once is not usually a good idea. That is both a waste of chlorine and on the edge of being enough to damage the pool (unless CYA is really really high).

Cleaning up a pool starts with having the best possible information. Please post a complete set of water test results. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the article on cleaning up a green swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.