Pristine Blue to BBB conversion

Jun 25, 2012
Oops. My previous post went before I wanted it to.

I am in the process of switching from PB to BBB. When I put my test results in the Pool Calculator it is not telling me to use any Borax or Baking Soda. It's suggesting Bleach, Muriatic Acid, and CYA. I understand adding the bleach and CYA because it wasn't in the pool to begin with. I thought switching to BBB would eliminate the use of Muriatic Acid? Is it being suggested because the pH is so high? I just bought the hTh test kit to help me get started and my results are as follows:

FC: .5
pH: 8.2
TA: 130
CH: 450
CYA: 0

Please help.

Welcome to TFP!

The first priority is to lower the PH to around 7.2 to 7.4. Muriatic acid is the best thing to use for that. Even though BBB stands for bleach, baking soda, and borax, those aren't the only chemicals we use, they are simply symbolic of chemicals that are simple and save you money.

Until you add CYA, add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening.

You should raise CYA to around 40 or 50.

Your TA is a little high, but you can leave it alone for now. Likewise, CH is a little high, but nothing to worry about unless it goes up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.