MAYDAY - TA Going through the roof!

Jul 1, 2010
Pittstown, NJ
This is my 3rd year of BBB, having been previously trapped in the pool store Chlorine Puck Prison.

My 18K Gallon plaster pool was opened ten days ago. No major findings, mostly clear water and the usual (porous cover) debris on the bottom. Cleaned up and shocked (with 6%) nicely. I did 'overshock' at the opening as it is late in the year and green creepy critters were gaining a home on the top foot or so of the walls. I hit the pool with 16 Gallons of Wally World 6% bleach and the water was clear and sparkly within a couple of days. Using the Pool Calculator I added around 4# of baking soda and the same of stabilizer. TA at the time was measured at 50. It crept up over the next days to 60 and stayed there. I figure that is slightly low but do not like to add too much of anything to prevent an 'overcorrection'.

Calcium hardness started at 50, was up to 210 after a week (target was 300) so I thought all was on track. The next day CH dropped suddenly to 140. That's when I must have messed up. The Pool Calculator advised 27 pounds of Calcium Chloride. I didn't want to hit that much at once so I added 13 pounds. CH came back up and is now at 320. FC was also dropping so I added the 3 Qts bleach the calculator called for. Before adding Calcium Chloride the TA was measured at 60, still not getting my attention.

TA suddenly took off. The next day it was measured at 350. I thought I may have gotten a bad reading so did nothing about it until today. Retesting today shows the TA is in outer space at 750! What????

Ph has been steady from the opening until yesterday at 7.2. Today it crept up to 7.4.
For what it's worth, it is very hot and has been for the week or so - mid to high nineties. The filter is running 12 hours per day (8A to 8P).

I am stumped about the extreme TA readings. It appears to have been hijacked by adding CC in support of CH, but that is conjecture.

All ideas are appreciated because I am stumped!

Jack

Re: MAYDAy - TA Going through the roof!

There aren't very many possible explanations. Either the TA test is misbehaving, or you are adding TA to the pool somehow.

The TA test is sensitive to an electrostatic charge building up on the dropper tip. Try wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp tissue every couple of drops.

Have you been topping the pool to replace evaporation? If so, measure the TA of your fill water. High TA fill water can drive TA up fairly quickly when it is hot.

And of course, you presumably haven't been adding any baking soda?

You're testing yourself...right? Have you been able to repeat those test results to confirm your readings and to rule out a faulty procedure error?
Are your testing chemicals perchance old?
I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in with a request for an entire test result report... so now's as good a time as any!

Wow - talk about fast replies!

Let's see:
I've been wiping the bottle tip but now that you mention it the cloth isn't wet! I know better and will try again now doing the test properly!

I have been topping off the water level, not a lot, but some. I haven't tested our well water, but probably should. It is what I have always used to top off the pool, but of course it may have changed.

No baking soda added since the day of opening - 10 days ago.

The chemicals are older - about two years. I have a full set of replacements I bought late last year and should try that also. Good thought.

Here are today's readings:
PH - 7.4
TC - 1.0 (just added 3 qts 6%)
TA - 750
CH - 320
CYA - 30
Temp - 76

I'm going to run down now and try a damp cloth wipe of the drop bottle. Fingers crossed and I will be right back!

Let this be a lesson to anyone else out there who may, like me, have a dead short between the ears ---

The experts here at TFP are called experts for a darn good reason - they know what they are talking about!

Who would have thought that using a dry cloth to wipe the dropper tip instead of a damp cloth would make that much difference? Obviously not me!
The TA miraculously dropped from 750 to 70

Following directions really is a good idea :oops:

Thanks very much, guys. I owe you a tall frosty one next time you get in the area! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.