Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Leak : Patch or Replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Leak : Patch or Replace?

The attached photo says it all. My skimmer has a large hole, exposing concrete behind it. I am guessing this started as a crack and previous owners attempted to patch, because there was some epoxy which fell right off and the concrete around this area has shifted.

Is it worth trying to repair this skimmer or should I just replace it? Pool is 19k gal. gunite and skimmers are buried in concrete.

[attachment=0:3nvwof73]IMAG0304.jpg[/attachment:3nvwof73]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19,000 gal. inground pool / spa combo; 1.5 hp pump; three inground cartridge filters;
    AutoPilot SWG (chlorine-only, no PH tank or ORP sensors)
    Gas heater, plumbed into pool and spa. Yes, I have had my 19k gal pool up to 103 degrees - party at my house!
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." - Einstsein

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Leak : Patch or Replace?

If you can replace the entire skimmer, by all means do so. However, replacing in-ground skimmers isn't very easy. It will probably be much simpler to repair (not that that will be all that easy either).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You could, maybe, get away with a whole bunch of A-B Epoxy putty jammed in there, however void behind the hole will be a problem. And you'll be redoing it regularly.

Replacing the skimmer is the best long term solution, but as said above, it's not easy at all. Hire it done expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1500.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the information, I am going to have to think about this one a bit. I would go ahead with the replacement since that's probably going to save me more money in the long run, though I am a little nervous that the ground may continue to shift with a new skimmer and wreck that one too. Hopefully, stopping this leak will also stop the concrete from moving...
    19,000 gal. inground pool / spa combo; 1.5 hp pump; three inground cartridge filters;
    AutoPilot SWG (chlorine-only, no PH tank or ORP sensors)
    Gas heater, plumbed into pool and spa. Yes, I have had my 19k gal pool up to 103 degrees - party at my house!
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." - Einstsein

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

When a skimmer is replaced, a section of the deck surrounding the skimmer has to be cut out and, ultimately, replaced.

If done correctly this leaves the skimmer and the deck patch independent of the rest of the deck.

If the pool is level in the ground, and the rest of the deck is not moving all around the repair should be good.

In SC you shouldn't be having freeze/thaw problems, so I would suspect that the problem is associated with fill and settling. That means, that if the installation is mature, you would not expect a recurrence of the problem.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!