Wiring a two speed pump

Liteguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Cave Creek, AZ
I have a 2 speed 1.65 hp Eco Pump which was originally installed at one speed, high only.

This pump runs for 8 hours from 8pm to 4 am daily when I am off peak power from my electric company.

In 8 hours at full speed, I circulate 13,000 gallons twice.

Question, Is there any benefit at all to wiring this pump to operate on both high and low speeds?

If so, anyone have a simple wiring diagram AND is there some gadget needed to make this work?

Thank you in advance.

There is a huge benefit, you can cut your electric costs down to half or perhaps even one quarter of what you are spending now. From what you said, it sounds like you are running twice as long as you need to. By switching to low speed for the same run time you would cut your electric bill down to about 1/4 of what it is now and most likely have water that looks just as good as it is now.

All you need is a SPDT switch rated for the voltage and amps of the pump. Run the wire currently going to the high speed connection on the pump to the switch and then run the two wires from the switch to the high and low speed connections on the pump. Then run the pump on low speed instead of high speed, and only use high speed when priming the pump, vacuuming, and backwashing the filter (if you backwash).

your rewiring will typically depend on two things: do you use a 230v analog timer and if so, is it a double pole model? or if not, does the pump have a housing mounted switch to change speeds? I looked at the Eco website and don't see a 1.65 pump. model #? it looks like most of their pumps are 2 speed, 230V. since pump is already wired for hi speed, I'm guessing whoever installed probably bypassed the speed selection switch (if there is one). if you have a timer and it's double pole, you will need to run a second 230v wire from the timer to the lo speed motor terminal. timer will go between lo and hi speeds depending on how you program. to turn pump off, flip breaker. need model #, timer brand and model #. any other accessories running off timer (SWG, heater, etc)?

advantage of lo speed is water will continue to circulate 24/7, reducing water quality issues. depending on pump gpm rates, you can probably reduce hi speed run time to achieve 2 daily turnovers. running times/speeds are dependant on traffic, organic debris and water chemistry. many of my customers (S Central US) will run pump lo speed during winter temps rather than shutdown.

Thank you guys for the quick response,

Mine is the EP-4
http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pump-specs.html

Please disregard the labels on the timer pictures. The left timer is the pump and the right timer is the SWG.
Both 230VAC

The directions on the ECO pump website for the two speed setup is vague so much so that my electrician connected it for one speed only. He did admit he didn't know anything about two speed pool pumps.

So looks like this is what I need to do for electrical savings, etc. Recommendation for a water tight SPDT switch?

Attachments

• pool timers.jpg
    pool timers.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 240
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 240
Wow! Talk about resurrecting the dead!! :)

To answer your question, yes. That would be correct. If you want to, you could also put a second timer in to allow the speed change to be done automatically, instead of a manual switch. If you do decide to use a switch, make sure it's rated for the current and voltage you are working with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.