Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recirulate Setting - What's It For / When To Use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recirulate Setting - What's It For / When To Use?

2nd season with Intex Sand Filter and am wondering when, if ever the recirculate setting should be used?

When on that setting the water comes through the return with more pressure than when it's on Filter. I've never actually used or left the pump on that setting, but am wondering when or why I'd use it?

When adding shock or PH Plus maybe to get the chemicals through the system faster? But then why would anyone not want the water to go through the filtering media and any given time?
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame with Intex Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Recirulate Setting - What's It For / When To Use?

If you're clearing a swamp and you leave it circulating overnight but you can't be there to watch when it clogs up and needs cleaning, that's when you'd use recirculate.

Or to aerate big time, as here: found-a-use-for-recirculate-on-the-multi-t48380.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mint Hill, NC

Re: Recirulate Setting - What's It For / When To Use?

I'm no expert... but this is what I found online: ... nd-filter/

Several other sources agree that recirculate can be used when you don't want to risk the sand filter building up pressure but you want an automatic chlorinator to function. I'm not sure that's really a big risk but it's one of the uses listed.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump