Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Socks

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Socks

I read here about those Skimmer Socks that are added to the skimmer basket. Couple of questions:

- Do they affect the flow rate of the filter system? e.g., reduce the sucking & return pressure of the pump & filter?

- The images I've seen show them attached to the UNDERSIDE of the filter basket - the direction into the return system. Is there ever any concern about the sock being sucked off the basket and into the filter system?

- Do you leave yours on all the time, or maybe just after a lot of pool bathing parties?

Thanks in advance
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Socks

Hello

I just registered today However I've learned alot of good stuff on here

I just bought a skimmer sock the last week. I have a 18x36 inground with a sand filter

The reason for me getting this was it collects alot of lil stuff (Dog hair, bugs lil pieces of **** and whatever)

I bought a pack at a local pool store like 5 for $8

I don't notice any filter suction loss but I do keep an eye out for leaves as they can clog it up alot quicker.

So far so good on the filter sock
    18x36 ig Vinyl 26000 gal
    30 Jandy Sand Filter
    2hp Pentair Challenger
    Hayward Chlorinator

3. Back To Top    #3

- The images I've seen show them attached to the UNDERSIDE of the filter basket - the direction into the return system. Is there ever any concern about the sock being sucked off the basket and into the filter system?
    The skimmer basket socks go inside the basket! Otherwise, as you said, there would be a concern it would end up in the filter system!

Do you leave yours on all the time, or maybe just after a lot of pool bathing parties?
    I leave the socks in the basket as long as the pump/filter are running. Since we never run our pump at night, the socks get pulled and rinsed, not allowed to sit in basket overnight.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I leave my skimmer sock (inside the basket) in 7X24, and change it weekly. I just throw the dirty one in the wash after rinsing it.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

I keep the skimmer sock in place until it starts to shred. I even keep it on when we vacuum the pool, but had to add a large rubber band to keep it in place with the heavy suction. I buy them online in multi packs, and get several packs at a time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.