Hayward salt and swim question

Jul 1, 2012
Hello all,

Ok I got a 22,000 fiberglass pool. We do a lot of traveling in the summer and the pool has just gotten out of whack with chemical upkeep. I'm looking at the Hayward salt and swim salt chlorination device. I've searched high and low online for reviews and can't find many at all. I'm not sure if it's so new it hasn't been tested or if it's a bad idea and no one has bought one.

I really don't want the more expensive "wired" versions, as we might be moving in a couple of years and I'll just take the Salt and Swim to the next pool.

So guys, any ideas? Any input? Any other "plug and play" devices?

We are in TN, and keep the pool open from first of May to first of October. Temps stay 90-100 during the summer.

Thanks y'all.

Welcome to TFP!

The Salt and Swim is very new, and we really haven't heard much about it yet. I do know that compared to other SWGs they have greatly shortened the cell life time, so while it is less expensive up front it is likely to be more expensive over the entire life of the device.

Thanks Jason.

Yea that's my main reason in the plug and play approach. In my profession we do move every few years. I'd like something I can take to the next water hole. If the cell life is 12 months I should get two 6 month seasons out of it, correct?

My thing is I don't want to have to buy a $1000-1500 unit plus the electrical hook up to enjoy the salt water everytime we move. I'd rather buy the movable unit and just buy the $250 cell every 2 seasons.

To be honest I've never had a salt unit, but have had many pools. Just tired of the chlorine battle. Lol

I'd buy a real one and install it with 2 unions, then but to extra unions ans connect them with a straight pipe. When your ready to move just put in the straight pipe, and lift the power unit off the screws from the wall.
You also have the benifit of Being able to run your filter while you remove the cell for testing at the pool store if it becomes nessesary or cleanness the cell for a nice soak over night in vinigar.

I really don't like the whole 6month or 12 month cell thing, how cheap are these made... And for half a grand??? Haha I would buy a compupool SWG for that much.
Or go cheap like I did and drop 162.00 for a intex and buy two 2"pipe rubber couplers (look I the black drain pipe section of the plumbing dept at Lowes for these.) thats how i added It to my in ground pool. As intex are aimed at the above ground pools plumbing wise.

^^^^^^^ Thanks.

One more question, 3-5 years. Is that calendar years or season years.

Like my pool stays open about 6 months. For people who keep theirs open year round for 3 years, does that mean the cell would last me 6 years, since I'm only using it a half year at a time?

Actual cell life time depends on a large number of factors, including pool size, cell size, chemical balance, and on and on. 3-5 years is typical for a typical pool, which means a pool closed at least 1/3 of the year. But as I said, it varies a great deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.