Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 best time to test

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 best time to test

Hello everyone,
    I have the TF100 and must say every pool owner must purchase this kit. It gives so much detail about the balance of your water.

I test with the tf100 on occasion and was wondering when is the best - most accurate time to test?

Pump running?
    End of day?
    Light swimming day?

And best tips would be appreciated. My pool is in sunlight sun up to sun down.
    Sharkline Matrix 24' x 54" Round AG Pool,
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 Sand Filter System with 1-1/2HP Dynamo,
    15,000 gallons,
    Intex SWG CS8110
    T100 test kit
    Pump runs 10am to 10pm
    Pool in sun 24/7 - lower Alabama

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 best time to test

The "best" time is anytime you have time to make chemical adjustments as necessary after the water has been circulated for awhile. Take your samples an arm lengths deep or so. I usually do mine around dusk.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Whenever you can remember to make it a habit! Needs to be after pool has been on for an hour at least, and will be on for another hour at least.

Probably best to do at the end of the day, so that chlorine added can circulate overnight at full strength. But I always preferred to add chlorine in the AM, as I don't care if my PJs get bleach spots but I hate that on my regular clothes.

Remembering is hard for me as I change when the pool runs depending on whether the pool is getting too warm or too cold.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

I like to test mine before the SWG starts but after the pump has been on for awhile. My thinking is that is the lowest the chlorine level will ever be at. This would be around 11am for me, I have our generator running through peak sun hours seeing there's rarely anyone in the pool at that time.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5

It is best if you can test at the same time each day, and have the pump running for at least half an hour before testing. There is a very slight advantage to testing in the evenings, but that is hardly essential.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

that's been sort of the thing I'm struggling with - most everyone is saying at Dusk after the sun is off the pool ... The current pool service tests - when she gets there during the day ... It would be a lot more convenient for me personally to be able to test late morning after the pump comes on (11 AM or so). So I'm going to play this by ear and see what works for me ... I know I'm over-thinking this .. Oh, and just today I found out more details on our new pool from the pool service's "orientation" .. I'll update my signature.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you taking over the pool maintenance from the pool service? If you are not, make sure you give the chemicals they add at least an hour to circulate before you do your test. Either way, I would wait at least an hour after adding chemicals and/or starting the pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I prefer the AM. My results at the kitchen table with a fresh cup of coffee are quite accurate.

My results at happy hour don't seem to be so good........I can't explain what it is about the reagents that causes them to get out of whack like that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My results at happy hour don't seem to be so good........I can't explain what it is about the reagents that causes them to get out of whack like that.
    ...me either...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Are you taking over the pool maintenance from the pool service? If you are not, make sure you give the chemicals they add at least an hour to circulate before you do your test. Either way, I would wait at least an hour after adding chemicals and/or starting the pump.
    yes - they are no longer doing it ... They gave me the "turn over" of everything today .. just waiting on my TF-100 to arrive on Thursday. Left the "puck" in until then.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I prefer the AM. My results at the kitchen table with a fresh cup of coffee are quite accurate.

ExActly ...