Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB for my hot tub,too?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Texas

BBB for my hot tub,too?

I'm making my new pool a BBB pool. I'm wondering if I can do the same with my hot tub. It currently has bromine in it along with other pool store chemicals. Sure would be great if I could use the same stuff on both.

30'x54" AGP..22000 gals.
    -Millennium 22" sand filter
    -Waterway 1.5 hp SPL 2-speed pump.
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Georgia

Re: BBB for my hot tub,too?

I do but be aware it's twice the testing!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

As you'll see from the chlorine post for spas that Jason linked to, there are some differences than using chlorine in a pool. The bather load is much higher since the water volume is so low in a spa and they are typically covered so most of the chlorine loss comes from bather load, not from loss from sunlight. The other big difference is the amount of aeration in the spa, especially if you use jets. Getting the TA lower (to 50 ppm, if needed) and using 50 ppm Borates in the spa are important, even though the procedure says that the borates are optional, I'd say they are normally required to keep pH from climbing too high too fast even with the lower TA level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"