First I want to thank all of you for the invaluable help on the long journey to becoming educated in pool maintenance and ownership. I am a brand new pool owner and without of of your valuable input I would have been totally lost.
I have had the pool up and running for a week now and have my first set of results using the Taylor test kit. At this point the auto chlorine has been running just because I didn't want to touch anything until had a chance to do a test. I did shock the pool using the method outlined on this site because it looked like a swamp last week. At this point it looks great.
Here are my results this morning.
The CYA is high I think due to the auto chlorinator. I think I will turn it off so that I don't have to worry about the added stabilizer the chlorine pucks are introducing and use liquid bleach. Is this correct thinking? Will adding water as it evaporates (About an inch per day) bring the CYA down within a week or so? Is a slow approach OK or should I try and drain some water off right away?
The TA is also high. Do I need to worry to much about this?
Thanks guys, its much appreciated!