Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partly Cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Howard City, MI

Partly Cloudy

Hello. I finally ordered my Taylor K-2006 test kit and should be getting it sometime this week. I am now obsessed with making sure all my levels are where they need to be. I initially purchased a hth 6-way drop test kit. It only had 2 cya tests and now am waiting for new kit so I can test CYA.

My current dilemma is that the water has seemed to be a little cloudy. Not horrible, but it surely is not sparkly like it should be. I am assuming this might have something to do with the CYA? My Cl level is at 3 and pH is at 7.5.

Should I add some stabilizer/conditioner? If so, how much should I add since I cannot test the CYA yet? Please help, the cloudiness is driving me crazy.
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Partly Cloudy

Post complete results when you get your kit....don't do anything until then.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Cloudiness could be caused by too much stabilizer, if you've used pucks or powders to chlorinate in the past.

I'm with Dave, don't add anything except bleach. And maybe acid if the pH needs adjusting.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sunny Central Florida

Yeah, don't add CYA until you *know* it's that, the only way to remove it is replace water or RO treatment. You can add liquid bleach if you want to add *something*, and keep your pump running 24/7 to try and get the gunk out of the water.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

5. Back To Top    #5

What sort of filter do you have? It helps us if you add pool specs to your profile and signature
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.