Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: To Shock or not to shock?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2

    To Shock or not to shock?

    Note: This is my first ever post to any forum on this website.

    We have had our pool for 2 years and I have only shocked it twice in that time period. I'm not even sure I needed to. However, I hear other people that shock quite frequently (every couple of weeks) and I wonder if I should be shocking it more. My recent test results for the past week are shown below:

    TF100 Test Kit
    Date FC CC Ph TA CH CYA
    6/23/12 3.0 0.0 7.2 90 380 40 Pool store test
    6/24/12 3.5 0.0 7.2 80
    6/25/12 4.5 0.5 7.3 110
    6/27/12 2.5 0.5 7.3 100
    6/30/12 4.5 0.0 7.3 95

    I measure the chemicals at least once a week, sometimes more. Over the 24 months we have had the pool I have taken measurements 160+ times. Some additional statistics for all measurements over 24 months are below:

    FC CC Ph TA CH CYA
    Median 3 0.0 7.6 100 325 50
    Average 3.6 0.14 7.55 102 327 60 (Note: I only measure CH and CYA on average once per month)

    As you can see, my numbers have been very good. I have never had a CC level above 0.5 and most often it is 0. FC generally hovers around 3. With the exception of 1 week earlier this spring, the water has been sparkling. When my chlorine gets a bit low and CC goes up to 0.5, I add some Cl tabs and CC's quickly go back to 0.

    So, with numbers like these, why would I need to shock the pool? What criteria do I use to decide if shocking is required if the water is sparkling? I don't just want to do it for the sake of doing it or do it just because that is what everyone else does. I do get some algae forming on the sides of the pool and spa during the very hot summer months, but I have that problem even when FC is 3 or more and CC is 0. In our Houston climate it is tough to eliminate algae entirely and nobody said I would never have to brush the pool.

    Thanks in advance for your comments / suggestions.
    IG Pool & Spa (July 2010); 20K Gal; SunStone Quartz Plaster (Antigua); 420 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter;
    Pentair VS-3050 Pump (75 Gal/Min @ 2750 RPM);2 HP Booster Pump; Nature2 Fusion Inground Sanitizer;
    Pentair 400 BTU Heater; Easy Touch 4 w/ Remote; Polaris 280 Cleaner

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: To Shock or not to shock?

    What criteria do I use to decide if shocking is required if the water is sparkling?
    Welcome to the forum.

    That visible algae would be the trigger for me to shock. A pool with adequate chlorine will not grow visible algae. Shocking the pool should get rid of it. Running higher FC in the beginning will prevent it most likely.

    Next time post your test results vertically

    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

    As you can see, your columns don't line up correctly when you post and they are VERY difficult to read.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: To Shock or not to shock?

    Welcome to TFP!

    You only need to shock when there is visible algae (or other obvious organic contaminates), or if CC is above 0.5, or if you are losing chlorine overnight (see OCLT). Sometimes it is also a good idea to shock if FC ever goes to zero, but that really depends on why it went to zero and for how long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2

    Re: To Shock or not to shock?

    Thanks for the advice. My FC has only gone to zero for less than a day and that was only because their were no Cl tabs in the chlorinator. I add Cl and a few hours later my FC would be back at 3+ and CC would be zero. I figured that it was difficult to completely eliminate all algae problems with the high temperatures in Houston. Pool temp is typically 90-92 degrees in the summer. Maybe I just need to keep my Cl levels higher in the summer. But for now I will shock and see if that resolves the algae problems. I really am not losing Cl overnight. I'll do better on the formatting next time. Thanks for such a great and helpful forum.
    IG Pool & Spa (July 2010); 20K Gal; SunStone Quartz Plaster (Antigua); 420 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter;
    Pentair VS-3050 Pump (75 Gal/Min @ 2750 RPM);2 HP Booster Pump; Nature2 Fusion Inground Sanitizer;
    Pentair 400 BTU Heater; Easy Touch 4 w/ Remote; Polaris 280 Cleaner

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: To Shock or not to shock?

    If you are chlorinating primarily with pucks, your CYA may get too high in the summer allowing the algae to grow. It appears you are not testing your CYA, is that correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •