Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC level dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

FC level dropping

Need help, I think. My FC level seems to be dropping too fast. FC was at 4.6 around noon time, just checked it again 6 hours later and it was 3.4.

Pool water is sparkling clear. No visible issues at all.

I got suckered into starting my pool on Pristine Blue, but quickly changed my mind on that once I did some research, so I made the switch to chlorine, by way of trichlor pucks, and then I switched again to the BBB method. I may still have some copper in the pool from the pristine blue.

I run my filter for 5 hours in the AM, and 5 hours in the PM on a timer.

CC - under 1 ppm (test only produced a very faint, faint, pink tint, so im thinking its just over 0 but under 1)
    TA - 120
    PH - 7.4
    CYA - 50
    Above ground pool - 24' x 54" (1 month old)

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC level dropping

Sounds like normal loss. 2 or 3 ppm per day is pretty common, and the majority of your loss is going to be lost during the sunniest part of the day.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're really worried, try the OCLT. That will show you just what you're losing to the sun, and what is being consumed by any algae.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

4. Back To Top    #4

Too slow!

I was going to say, if it's full sun, and hot, and anyone's been in the pool, it's totally normal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. It sounds like this is normal, I thought I read that a 1ppm loss per day was normal and thats why I am concerned. It seems like I will be going through a lot of bleach to keep my FC level up, Im starting to think that the trichlor pucks would be much easier and maybe cost less?

6. Back To Top    #6

maybe .... Until your CYA got too high for the amount of FC the tablets add. Your pool then turns green and you have to drain part of your pool to lower the CYA.

You are already at the top of the recommended CYA range.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

And I am going to do the overnight test tonight, already brought level up to 6.4 and will check it first thing in the AM.

If my CC is almost zero, am I correct in thinking that there is no algae in my water? I thought that was what the CC indicated; whether or not chlorine was tied up fighting algae.

Yes, I know about the CYA, and that was why I changed to the bleach method.

Is a SWG a better way to go??

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Algae does not necessarily result in cc showing on the test. The FC also breaks down the CC so it may not register.

OCLT confirms if you are losing FC to something in the pool and not the sun.

SWG is a great option if you have the initial funds. Not really a money saver but saves you having to carry the bleach bottles.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

How are you testing??

10. Back To Top    #10

Taylor 2006 test kit

Overnight results~
    2330 6.4 ppm
    0930 5.6 ppm
    Im guessing this is good?

What SWG do you guys recommend?
    Looking at this one, is this a good unit?
    http://www.amazon.com/Goldline-AQ-TROL- ... +generator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Im starting to think that the trichlor pucks would be much easier and maybe cost less?
    Yes, I know about the CYA, and that was why I changed to the bleach method.
    Those two sentences don't match up. Pucks will continue to add CYA and eventually make your pool unmanageable. They are also not cheaper.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Taylor 2006 test kit

Overnight results~
    2330 6.4 ppm
    0930 5.6 ppm

What SWG do you guys recommend?
    Looking at this one, is this a good unit?
    http://www.amazon.com/Goldline-AQ-TROL- ... +generator

Any input / comments would be appreciated

13. Back To Top    #13

Bueller.......Bueller......

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

It's fine. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in PoolSchool and that will give you a better idea of what's good and not so good in your test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    It's fine. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in PoolSchool and that will give you a better idea of what's good and not so good in your test results.
    From what I just read, all of levels are good except maybe ta is a bit high.

Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

The Goldline (Hayward) line of SWG are solid performers that have been around for a long time. I had one at my last pool and going to be adding one to this one.

We generally recommend a cell sized for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool so that the cell lasts longer (general life is 3-5 years). So, the link you provided for a 18k gallon cell might be a little on the small side. There is no problem using one of the Aqua Rite SWG for an above ground pool, although I see that the Aqua Trol includes a timer so the hook up would be a bit easier.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The Goldline (Hayward) line of SWG are solid performers that have been around for a long time. I had one at my last pool and going to be adding one to this one.

We generally recommend a cell sized for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool so that the cell lasts longer (general life is 3-5 years). So, the link you provided for a 18k gallon cell might be a little on the small side. There is no problem using one of the Aqua Rite SWG for an above ground pool, although I see that the Aqua Trol includes a timer so the hook up would be a bit easier.

Thanks for the info.