Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drained and refilled the pool: CYA still high

1. Back To Top    #1

Drained and refilled the pool: CYA still high

Hello Experts:

As you can tell from my user name, I am total noob in pool care

Anyhow, here is my background thread:

First post

I have gotten rid of pool care service, and now I am on my own. As I mentioned earlier, I am hopeful that with guidance and help from the experts here, I am sure that I will be able to manage the pool on my own.

Based on the advice in this First post thread, I drained (almost half of the pool) and refilled it, and tested it.

Here are my test results after refilling (before any chemical addition):

pH - 7.8 (Leslie's 8.0)
    Total Alkalinity - 90 ppm (Leslie's 90)
    Free chlorine - 1 ppm (Leslie's 1)
    Combined chlorine - Absent (Leslie's absent)
    Cyanuric Acid - 90-100 ppm (Leslie's 70)
    Calcium hardness - 200 ppm as Calcium carbonate (Leslie's 200)

Total dissolved solids: Leslie's 700

Phosphates: Leslie's 100

As I was under the impression that my pool is 11,000 Gallons (but pool guy was saying that it is close to 19,000 Gallons), and FC was 1 ppm. I dumped 182 oz of 6% bleach (bought from costco) slowly and let the pump run for 60 minutes, and when I tested the water again for FC, it was 10 ppm

So, I played with the pool calculator, and looks like my pool is only 9750 Gallons (can someone please check to see if my calculations are correct)??

So, what should I do now?? I guess, I need to lower the pH a bit, and FC is high also in addition to CYA that is also high. I have removed the float thing with tablets now, so I hope that CYA will not rise now Will CYA go down if no more CYA is being added since I am not using those tablets now?

Would you recommend that I drain the pool again (and use pool calculator for future calculations so that I dont make these mistakes again), or continue using at the current level?

Any recommendations on where to get the muriatic acid? I see mentions that it is available at HD and Lowes..but just wondering where everyone is buying theirs??

Thanks,

-Totalnoob
    ----------------
    9,700 gallon, in-ground pool, Cartridge filter, Irregular (kidney) shape, Taylor K-2006 test kit, small rock waterfall.

Pool School + Test Kit + Test Kit Directions +The Pool Calculator = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drained and refilled the pool: CYA still high

Sounds like you need to drain another 50%. No point adding any chems if you are pumping out water to lower CYA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you perchance add pucks or CYA to the newly refilled water?

Have you read the formula/instructions on the Pool Calculator on how to determine your pool capacity? I had a similar problem when the PB said (off the top of his head) that my pool was 17K gallons, but doing my own calculations I came up with 11,500ish. You need to determine your volume pronto as all your chemical additions will be based on it.

I agree with the previous reply that you still need to replace half your water and get that CYA down.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks. I will drain the pool again. And then come back.
    ----------------
    9,700 gallon, in-ground pool, Cartridge filter, Irregular (kidney) shape, Taylor K-2006 test kit, small rock waterfall.

Pool School + Test Kit + Test Kit Directions +The Pool Calculator = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

using FC calculations to back into pool volume is kind of hard, since any algae or sun can change the FC levels. If you are pretty sure that you know the TA levels, then using pH changes with muriatic acid additions can be used. Just go slowly based on low volumes and tweak it higher as needed. That is assume it is 9750 gallons until you prove otherwise.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just out of curiosity, how many times did you take the CYA reading? I've been doing the test for a couple years now, even bought the standard solution to check myself, and I still go with best 3 out of 5 readings! Of course, I have the pool history, too, so I know if something is suddenly way out of line (meaning I goofed up on the test), and you don't, which makes that part hard.

I buy my Muriatic Acid at the local pool store, in returnable jugs. But I've bought it at Lowes before.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!