Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: McGee Family, Corona, CA

1. Back To Top    #1

McGee Family, Corona, CA

Hello everyone! I joined TFP to learn as much as I possibly can BEFORE we buy our above-ground pool. We are planning on an above-ground because we simply cannot afford an in-ground pool at this time. My husband and two boys and I have a large, one acre backyard, but rarely ever go outside. We are all very eager to have our own backyard pool. Our boys, 11 and 13, are the perfect age to enjoy the benefits of a pool now: fun and exercise! For price's sake, we are considering starting out pretty inexpensively: an Intex (or comparable) 24' Ultra Frame. PLEASE feel free to lend any suggestions you may have! We have a concrete slab that was once used for a basketball court that we are considering using (as long as it's level). Otherwise, we will be learning as we go! Thank you all in advance for any hints, tips, suggestions!

The McGees

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: McGee Family, Corona, CA

Order a test kit so it arrives before the pool is full of water. And you may as well order a speedstir, too, because in our neck o'the woods, the Calcium Hardness test takes a long, long, long, time to do, even with a speedstir!

I have no personal experience with above-ground pools. I will suggest that you pay close attention to the electrical code and get an outlet for your filter the right distance from the pool, with a GFCI circuit in it. No extension cords!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4

Virginia Beach

X2 on getting a GOOD test kit BEFORE you fill the pool. You won't want the water to get away from you while waiting for the kit to arrive.

Welcome aboard!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Hello and welcome to TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! We are (at least I really am) excited to get our pool! Anybody have suggestions for an AG salt water system?? I hear they are pretty simple to maintain and are better for the skin. We haven't committed to a specific brand of pool yet. Was thinking Intex, but if there are better quality for a comparable price, I'd like to know.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, sadiemcgee

I have the intex swg and am on my third year with no problems...the price is right.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome. Thank you!