Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old owner/new member....comment?question

1. Back To Top    #1

old owner/new member....comment?question

Has anyone ever used Downy's new product called Unstopables? It's a perfume/freshener for laundry. I've used it on my pool towels for the last few weeks to keep them fresh in the towel bin. 2 towels fell in my pool(oops) for a few hours and now my pool is a mess! could that perfume stuff have totally messed up my chem balance? I canNOT get a free chlorine reading at all.....even after 20 lbs of super shock! Major cloudy water and ALOT OF FRUSTRATION! Any comments? I really am not sure the towels did it but this just may be a warning to others to be careful. Let me know what you think.....

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: old owner/new member....comment?question

Welcome to TFP!

Two towels could not have caused anything even remotely that severe.

Could you post a complete set of water test results?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Latest test:
    saturation index 0.7
    TDS 2100
    CYA 151
    tot. chl 1.3
    free 0.7
    PH 8.3
    tot alk219
    adj. tot alk 174
    tot hard 138
    nothing else tested
    using BioGuard brand products
    please assist

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

CYA is out the roof probably due to your use of powdered chlorine products. First step is to get that in line by doing a lot of water changes and then using liquid chlorine. If you do not understand this, you need to read Pool School a few times and get yourself a good test kit and stop relying on the pool store to spend your money.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!