Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phos free

1. Back To Top    #1

Phos free

This is the first year that we have used the BBB method. Before this year, we were letting the pool store tell us what to do and it became quite costly! My husband is having a hard time separating from the pool store (the real truth is he is having a hard time admitting I was right about them)! He went in yesterday and bought phos free. We have has phosphates in our pool in the past. From what I have been reading, it seems that we probably do not want to add the phos free that he bought but instead properly shock the pool. The pool store had us adding 3 jugs of chlorine one time per week for the shock process and we never had any stabilizer!!! So, long story short, should we use phos free?
    13x23 ProSeries AG Pool
    SandPro .5Hp Filter System
    AquaPro Pro 500 50k Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Phos free

Using phos free (or any phosphate remover) will not hurt anything except for your wallet. Phosphates are a non-issue as long as you maintain proper FC levels according to your CYA level (see Chlorine / CYA Chart in my sig). I am aware of people with phosphate levels of 1,000 + ppm and never have algae because they maintain proper FC levels.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

See if you can exchange the Phosfree for some chlorine.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Phoenix, AZ

Back when I was "pool stored," I too bought in on the Phos Free. No more. If I remember right that gallon bottle is like $40. I am sure they are making about $35 on the bottle. Have not used it for almost two years with BBB and the pool looks better than ever.
    10,000gallon, IG Pebble Tec, Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward Cart Filter C4025, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 1 vac line, 1 skimmer, 2 Main Drain, 3 returns, 2" plumbing
    TF100 Test Kit.