Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: * Hayward pump motor concern

1. Back To Top    #1

* Hayward pump motor concern

...Yes, this pool was closer to a pond. The only wildlife it lacked, since it already had all the aquatic insect groups represented - Were some fish & amphibians. The water has been green (for three weeks) while trying to "open" the pool.

The good news, is that it's slowly turning blue now. Ever since I installed the hoses correctly.
    This pool was a special circumstance. It had not been run in 3 years. And, it was almost 1/3rd filled with leaves.
    We drained the pool (2x, actually). And, removed 5+ black garbage bags full of dead leaves & branches. There are still "some" leaves in it. Which we plan to vacuum, as soon as we can. We can now see them.
    ...Questions that I would love to have answered - I'll explain:

I just discovered (after about 3 weeks of having everything running) that my Wife's Uncle didn't install the Hayward sand filter's hoses correctly. I began to suspect, that they were not installed correctly about 3 days ago. But just confirmed it tonight:
    The hose from the (Hayward) pump, was attached to the fitting "labeled" 'Pool'
    The hose going to the pool's "Input" (jet) was attached to the fitting "labeled" 'Pump'

I installed them both to their proper places tonight: Pump's out hose is now attached to the top fitting labeled Pump. And, the hose going into the side of the pool has been attached to the bottom fitting labeled Pool.

Current chemistry issues are: FC - Still at 0, and CYA <0

*The only other concern, besides chemistry above; is that the Hayward pump motor is too hot to touch! Ouch! And, I'm worried about it. We only run it during the day.

*I would really, really, love to hear (preferably from an Expert) exactly how stupid it was, to have those hoses in the wrong positions.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: * Hayward pump motor concern

Pumps commonly get very hot while they are running, especially if they are out in the sun.

At a minimum, you need to raise your CYA level up to at least 30 and maintain an appropriate FC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School