I think I made a mistake

Jun 23, 2012
I followed the directions for adding borates. I did 1/2 so far 24lbs and added 24lbs of borax and 189 oz of muriatic acid. But the test stips the pools store sold me do not test for borates just bromine. Is the pool safe to swim in today since I can't test for them? I am getting ready to retest the pool for fc, ph, ta etc. It is to late to go back to the store as we are having a pool part today with friends and family today. Hate to have a pool party without the pool.

zeroturn:

The amount of borax you added (24 lbs or 384 oz by weight) increased the borate ppm by 25, per the Pool Calculator ( I used 13,000 gallons, splitting the difference between 12,500 and 13,500 per your sig). Borate levels below 50 ppm are considered safe to swim in. If you had between zero and 25 ppm of borates before adding, you have no worries.

As for the MA addition, I cannot comment on that since I don't know what your pH level was, other than to state that MA can be used to compensate for the pH rise when adding borates.

BTW, here is a recommended borate test strip: http://tftestkits.net/Borates-Test-Strips-p29.html

Thanks. I'm loving the pool store more and more as time goes buy. I told them what I wanted they assured me it was that. I didn't double check. So in the end it was my fault. Family had a good time and I ordered the correct strips online. I'll wait to put the rest in untill they arrive. So glad I found this site. Thanks a bunch

Never trust the pool store's.You need to order you TF-100 get from Dave..You will get your money back within the season..Then you know what your water is&know how to adjust yourself.Pool School is the best thing to study up on..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.