Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expected Water Loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Expected Water Loss

Hi Everyone,

My pool is in direct sunlight all day, and is used about 3-4 times per week. It's my first summer with it and 11 days ago maybe 2 months or so after opening, the water dropped below the skimmer line. It might have been dropping slowly the whole time, I wasn't watching it. I had a truck come in and dump enough that got us to 3/4 the way up the skimmer. It's been slowly dropping and is now back at about the 1/4 mark (so half way down the skimmer).

Does this sound like typical loss in an area that's 85+ all day and is completely unprotected from the sun? There are no obvious leaks but I want to see if I should just be regularly adding hose water or if I should be shelling out a few hundred to have it professionally checked out.

I have not done the bucket test yet

~29k gal IG Vinyl Pool with Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Expected Water Loss

Up to 1/2 inch a day in Texas is our............"normal".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mesa Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Up to 1/2 inch a day in Texas is our............"normal".
    Same here except on exceptionally hot, dry days (humidity 5%) and windy days. Put those 3 things in combination and I can lose an inch of water in a single day here in the Phoenix area.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Phoenix, AZ

Was gone for a few days so I filled my pool up to the top, and shut off my autofill. When I came back three days later, the pool had lost 2 inches of water. Granted this is Phoenix and it has been about 110 here everyday with very little humidity. Your loss doesn't seem out of the ordinary.
    10,000gallon, IG Pebble Tec, Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward Cart Filter C4025, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 1 vac line, 1 skimmer, 2 Main Drain, 3 returns, 2" plumbing
    TF100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

The problem has gotten worse - I'm adding about 600 gallons per week the last three weeks. I tried the plastic wrap trick and the food coloring as well as manually looking for water where it shouldn't be and I've had no luck. I've decided to call in the pros for this one.
    ~29k gal IG Vinyl Pool with Sand Filter