Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak emergency - 1" per hour

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak emergency - 1" per hour

I removed a return eyeball that is an inpool chair last night. It always seemed off/misthreaded and was very difficult to remove but I screwed it back in. Pool company opened my pool, so looks like they misthreaded it. Well now I'm losing close to if not more than an inch of water per hour. Good news is I know exactly where it is. It's in the female threaded portion of that return, almost like it's cracked very close to the edge closest to the water. When I turn the pump off and remove the eyeball you can HEAR the water rushing out.

I'm desperately calling to have repair come out but are there any countermeasures? Shut off that return and cover with plastic grocery bags? I tried putting a winterizing plug but it simply won't threat right because of the cracked female portion. Tape bags over it somehow?

Any help would be much appreciated. Right now pump is off because I've got that winter plug in, there's two returns in the chair system - two chairs.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak emergency - 1" per hour

You might try an expandable rubber plug like the ones shown [/url=http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=expandable-rubber-plug.html] here.[/url]
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Leak emergency - 1" per hour

You could try to fix it yourself. Is the fitting a standard 1 1/2 in threaded fitting with the hose barbs? If so you could see if local above ground pool store, or even Leslie's, stocks the fitting. It screws into the part that has the larger nut that holds the return to the pool. Or even a whole new eyeball return assembly. I got one at my LPS for about $10'

Or even a threaded 90 at Home depot but that's less likely.

You can try holding a bowl over the fitting to see if it slows the leak.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    You might try an expandable rubber plug like the ones shown [/url=http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=expandable-rubber-plug.html] here.[/url]
    Thanks, that looks like it would give a temp countermeasure.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Leak emergency - 1

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    You could try to fix it yourself. Is the fitting a standard 1 1/2 in threaded fitting with the hose barbs? If so you could see if local above ground pool store, or even Leslie's, stocks the fitting. It screws into the part that has the larger nut that holds the return to the pool. Or even a whole new eyeball return assembly. I got one at my LPS for about $10'

Or even a threaded 90 at Home depot but that's less likely.

You can try holding a bowl over the fitting to see if it slows the leak.
    Thanks, it's the female thread that you screw a closing plug into. Can't really see a way to remove that.

I'm off to the store - that expandable closing plug looks like a good idea.

6. Back To Top    #6

I may have it stopped for now. Put some Teflon tape on a closing plug and lubed up the seal real good. Plugged other chair and shut off the chair returns.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, I can't see your signature when I read (in tapatalk in mt iPad) and that you had an in-ground pool. Different access when the dirt and concrete are in the way of the outside of the pool wall. LOL
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Good news is my temp countermeasure seems to be holding.

Bad news is pool store says they have to bust through concrete cool deck to replace the female threaded portion to perm fix. Wife will not be happy without her pool chair jets.