Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: yellowish silt/sand? at the bottom of the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

yellowish silt/sand? at the bottom of the pool

There is a film of a yellowish silt part way up the walls and on the floor of my pool. I dont think the vacuum is totally catching everything because it seems too fine. I can brush it away easily. Could this be algae?

some important information: The door to one of my skimmers came off and I did not put it back on for a couple of days... my FC levels were very low last week (now back up), and I think I was not running my filter long enough. I am wondering if this could be sand from my filter? I backwashed it this morning and it was dirtier than usual.

any help is appreciated!
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: yellowish silt/sand? at the bottom of the pool

Your backwash could be dirtier than usual due to algae. A sock or pantyhose held over your return can confirm filter sand or not. Test results would verify a need to shock, but I'm sure guessing YES!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just tested:
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TA 110
    CH 290
    CYA 60

Ph is 7.8

Am I correct that I only need to add bleach? I will try the sock over the return, thank you. I have never shocked the pool before. Is shocking something that needs to be done from time to time regardless of levels? This is my first year maintaining the pool.

Thank you!
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

4. Back To Top    #4

Shocking is a PROCESS only performed when you have algae. "From time to time" is a pool store myth employed to counteract high levels of CYA that they love cause they sell more chemicals. Clear the pool, maintain it properly, and forget that shocking weekly nonsense. See shocking your pool in pool school and the CYA/Chlorine chart.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok...so I guess Im back to my original question.

Not sure if I should do anything else except add bleach.

any help appreciated... thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

All other numbers look good...............GO SHOCK SUMTHIN'!