Tulsa, OK

Test results now what?

OK my water is clear but I tested everything today. Here are my numbers
    FC 2
    PH +7.8
    TA 130
    CH 260
    CYA 30

Do I need to add anything to get my TA or Ph down? I know I need to add Chlorine.

25,000 gal, sand, IG, gunite with attached spa and waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Test results now what?

Yes, you need to lower the pH to about 7.2. Each time the pH reaches 7.8, lower it to 7.2. Over time the TA will come down.

Since the CH is near the min, I suggest that you raise it to about 300 when you get time. No hurry, but a few backwashes might put CH a little low.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Test results now what?

Yep, lower pH. And you're right about adding some more chlorine.

Consider raising CYA. You're in the enviable position where you can use trichlor pucks in a floater for a little while. They'll slowly raise CYA, maintain FC levels (you should still test it), and keep pH in check (test that, too). You're okay for up to 8 lbs worth of pucks. So don't buy the huge drum, even if it's on sale. And save a couple for when you're on vacation.

My two cents
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!