Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Integral color concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Integral color concrete

Anyone have an integral color concrete deck that is "smoke" color?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Integral color concrete

So I figured this is a good place to ask a similar question...
    Anyone have any concrete base that is either a base color of LIGHT BUFF or BUFF or SAND TAN ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

We tried to get a concrete deck that looked tan... but it looks like regular concrete - maybe a little tan when wet, but not when dry.

Whatever color you really want, my advice is to pick the color that is two shades darker. Then you might get what you really want.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so I have more info....these are the colors I have to choose from....and I want a LIGHT color as my deck is full sun.

http://www.daviscolors.com/ColorCard#concrete

The subtle colors are what I need to choose...does anyone have any REAL WORLD Pics of any of these ?

Canyon
    Dune
    Outback
    Pebble
    Sandstone
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

About 10 years ago, a friend in Los Angeles put in a concrete patio/deck.
    He had it professionally colored a very light tan, with multi-colored bits and powders added in and on top, for tiny spots and ethereal swirls of color.
    It looked excellent.
    I'm sorry I don't know what the color products were, and he passed away since then, so I can't find out for you.
    Or for me.
    I just thought it might give you one more thing to research!
    Hope you find what you want.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't have any first hand experience, but from people I know that have done similar projects, it seems about half are unhappy with the results. It seems that a key factor is using a contractor with lots of experience in coloring concrete to avoid blotchy inconsistent results, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I went ahead with the smoke color that I originally asked about. It is a very light gray.

Toofast,
    Sorry no pics! But I agree that you should go as light as possible as the deck can get hot when temps are upper 90s/ 100s which we get here in OK. In hindsight having something with a little tan in it and not so gray might have been better color match with our tile and coping but we are very happy with the deck. Looking at your colors, it seems that Pebble is the lightest and appears fairly neutral. Outback is more gray, sandstone and dune more green, and canyon seems to dark too me if you are worried about heat. Again it depends on what else you are matching it with but the Pebble looks like it would match with a wide variety of colors.

You can get a cast on hardner/color treatment over the base to alter the color somewhat. It was very expensive for this to be done so we did not opt for it.

Isaac-1
    We are very happy with ours. The Butterfield color is in bags that they toss in the mixer and let it mix for 15 minutes or something. The color is not perfectly even but I don't know how much the rock salt treatment might have affected that. The variation in color is subtle. Hard to goof up unless they cut short the mixing time.

Just an overall word on decks: a friend had a pool put in about the same time as ours. His deck is stamped, stained and sealed. It is very slick when wet, even though they put some sort of additive for traction into the sealer. Every time we are over there, someone slips and falls. I was worried the cast on hardner would also make a slick finish when wet, but I do not know for certain. Our unsealed rock salt finish has excellent wet traction and so far has not shown any inclination to stain even though it is a light color.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much for you detailed comments...our coping has a bit of tan in it and yes the Canyon does seem dark, we thought the same.

We are leaning toward sandstone - the pigment when combined with the gray should make it tan....Pebble looks a bit too gray as well.

Now we just gotta cross our fingers

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure you post pictures when you are done so if anyone in the future does a search, this will come up hopefully.

I did notice on Davis' website that they have quite a few pictures people have sent in. You could do that too. I agree the sandstone looks like a good choice.
    Blaine

My pool build:

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep will do, if weather holds, pour is on Friday!