Okay....first I'll give you test results.
FC-24 (I'm in the shock process right now)
PH-8.2 (Do I need to worry about lowering it now, or wait until shocking is over?)
TA-240 (Eek, I know, but from what I understand I don't need to really worry about that at this point)
28,300 Gallon pool (If I calculated right). Above ground 33'x54"
I have the "good" chlorine test kit (totally can't remember the name right now)
This has been such an ongoing process my head is spinning, so don't be surprised if at some point, I don't even make sense. I don't know if this is more of a vent, a search for advice, or a need for someone to tell me to just keep trucking! Long story short, started out my season pool-storing it and with pucks. 2 weekends ago, in the middle of a small algae outbreak, I finally became sold on BBB. By small algae outbreak, I mean my water turned SLIGHTLY green, and the only actual algae I could see was in the filter cartridge. I started shocking by BBB standards. Well, as close as I could anyways since I work during the day. Night 2 it passed the overnight FC test. Vacuumed the dead algae to waste and thought I would good. ONLY thing was, I let my FC fall lower than I should have (didn't know at the time), and had quite a few of us in the pool on Sunday after a long day of softball.
Earlier this week, I found more green in the filter. GREAT. Assuming it meant algae was back (I can't find ANYTHING telling me if this is a red flag or not but I'm sure it is), I started shocking again. This time, I still can't get it to hold overnight. Last night I lost 2ppm FC. Well, I'm home today so at least I can monitor it hourly. HOWEVER, I'm adding water right now (have to, it's getting too low to filter). So what do I do in this case? Being forced to add water during the shock process? Just throw extra chlorine in on the hour??????? I also really want to vacuum it to waste to get what I am ASSUMING is dead algae off the bottom. I also think there is some dust (it's very dry here right now, and we live on a farm, and they just did hay. Oh, and we had a windstorm last night). Would it be best to just not worry about vac. to waste while shocking right now? Or run the auto vac and let it get what it can filter out for now????
And then there is the heaven knows how much I have spent in bleach the past two weeks. Granted, it's super hot right now so I know that has to be eating some of it up..... My husband I think is starting to be ready to have a small cow. I tell him "once I get this shock process over it will be better" to which he says "you said that last time you shocked it). I need to start using the solar cover more I guess, to help with the evaporation. It's already cut in half, I've decided I am going to go ahead and cut it in quarters to make it less of a pain (that sucker is big!)
All I know is, we decided to go above ground over inground because he didn't want something so permanent before we knew we didn't mind taking care of the thing. I think he is right on that one, because as much as I LOVE water and having a pool (wait, maybe I should say loved???), there is a part of me that wants to get the bobcat out and just demolish the thing today.
OH. And if this helps or not...my water is crystal clear. I mean, I'm sure if I got in it with a mask on, I could see some of the dead algae floating when I tried to see across the pool underwater. But otherwise, sparkly clear.
The only good news is that I am well stocked on beer and tequila.............