Skimmers

timie

Apr 28, 2008
I have noticed that the skimmers do not seem to be letting the water go through to the pump as it should. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Timie

JohnT said:
How are you determining this? What happens when you close the (if you have one) main drain valve slowly?
The skimmer shuts off. I just finished backwashing and the DE goes in slower. In order to have the Baracuda work I have to have both skimmers on and the main drain shut off. The pressure of the filter is around 30. It is usaully around 15 to 20

A good thing to try is to use a drain king, an attachment for garden hoses for clearing blocked pipes. You should be able to insert it into the intake pipe by removing the pump strainer basket, turn off the main drain and if possible the other skimmer, and then turn on the garden hose. That should flush any debris back towards the skimmer.

timie said:
JohnT said:
How are you determining this? What happens when you close the (if you have one) main drain valve slowly?
The skimmer shuts off. I just finished backwashing and the DE goes in slower. In order to have the Baracuda work I have to have both skimmers on and the main drain shut off. The pressure of the filter is around 30. It is usaully around 15 to 20

A restriction in a skimmer or drain line will give you a lower pump pressure reading. High filter pressure indicates a restriction after the pump. Could be dirty grids on your filter. A restriction in the line after the pump still results in lower flow from skimmers.

JohnT said:
timie said:
JohnT said:

A restriction in a skimmer or drain line will give you a lower pump pressure reading. High filter pressure indicates a restriction after the pump. Could be dirty grids on your filter. A restriction in the line after the pump still results in lower flow from skimmers.

I had cleaned the filters so the filter is clean. I have been fighting a bad algee problem and am still having problems. I have added bleach and shock but the pool is still cloudy. I backwashed earlier today and still the same thing. I just now finished blowing the lines to the skimmer and the skimmer seems to be a little better. Could this have anything to do with why my baracuda (brand new) is not working properly? It indicates that there is not enough suction

Is your Baracuda on a designated suction line or do you have it routed into one of your skimmers?

Also, be sure to get yourself a leaf trap for your Baracuda. Without one, you can clog your suction side in a bad way.

Craig

257WbyMag said:
Is your Baracuda on a designated suction line or do you have it routed into one of your skimmers?

Also, be sure to get yourself a leaf trap for your Baracuda. Without one, you can clog your suction side in a bad way.

Craig

It is on a designated suction line. Both skimmers have to be open for it to work. Where do you get a leaf trap and how much are they?

timie said:
I have been fighting a bad algee problem and am still having problems. I have added bleach and shock but the pool is still cloudy.

I suggest you tackle the algae as a seperate problem. Keep working on your skimmer issue, but don't let the algae keep going. You can't just throw in some shock and hope for the best.

Allow me to suggest a little reading...

Start with this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953

Then this one: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4147

Then come back with a full set of test results, and questions. :goodjob:

Otherwise, all the effort spent trying to help you will just be shots in the dark. If you don't believe me, read this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3662 ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.