Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Return Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

No Return Pressure

Hey guys - I have an in-ground 15,000 gallon pool that was just finished last week. Today my PB came out and hooked up the vacuum and showed me how to run the equipment.

So, this evening I tested the water and the TA was slightly low so I added some baking soda (per the BBB method) and just out of curiosity, I stuck my hand in to make sure the returns were on. So this brings me to my question, if the pump is on, and the spa spillover and the vacuum are doing their thing, do the returns need to be going in order to get proper circulation for the chemicals? I know before the PB hooked up the vacuum, the returns were blowing like crazy. I have a 4 speed pump and the PB turned the pump on a lower setting to save electricity (which is good) so do I need to adjust the speed to get the returns flowing like they were before? Or is it normal to get not much out of the returns if the spillover is on and the vacuum is on?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: No Return Pressure

Usually, when the spillover is on the returns are off. The pool will still get circulated but not as much as the returns. If you have a controller that will support both, then you could cycle each for part of the run time.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: No Return Pressure

Do you have manual valves or automatic valves? I have three-way valves that let me direct flow to/from pool/spa. When I want to aerate, I go full spa. When I vacuum, I shut the spa off so I can see what I'm doing without all the bubbles. But then the level goes down, so I usually increase the flow to fill it back up. Betcha your pool guy did the same.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!