Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising CH and scaling? Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising CH and scaling? Help!

My CH was too high about a month ago so i backwashed to waste before a big rain and a little after to lower it. got t back around 350. now it is back to 460, and i haven't added and hardness. i did just add MA and bleach

Just finished test results
    FC - 8
    CC-0
    PH 7.2
    TC-8
    TA - 45 (out of baking soda) usually stays pretty solid at 70
    CH - 460
    CYA - 50
    Borates - 40

Any idea where it is coming from? Fill water is a Ch of 6.

Also seem to have a scaling issue maybe? PH was too high, and due to family illness i have been in and out of town alot more than expected and havent been able to keep up with it as much as i would like. Replastered march 2011. below pictures are kinda hard to see with the reflection but it looks like a grayish tone running down the sides. don't have a pic of it, but there is also large build up of white material under the rock overflow of the hottub

new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rising CH and scaling? Help!

Welcome to the club.

What's your pH? That's the critical measurement. Aim low, like 7.4. I keep my pH 7.5 or below, TA is usually around 50, sometimes 60 after a fillup, and my scale is slowly melting away despite CH of 800 right now.

I water my lawn with pool water then refill. Each time, I lose about 3% CH, so it's not the most efficient method, but it doesn't waste any water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Rising CH and scaling? Help!

Sorry PH is 7.2 right now. Usually try to keep it around 7.5, but reading it should be a little lower.

So I'm for 7.4 an keep TA a little lower than normal around 50 and it should slowly correct itself? So maybe refill once or twice a week maintain all levels at the "new standard" is the way to go?
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380