Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Running Time 24/7 or not

Pool Pump Running Time 24/7 or not

Do I really need to run my pool pump 24/7 ? When I purchased my pool from The Great Escape that's what my salesman told me.

If so great, but if not how often and when?

Thanks

27'round 54" deep Above Ground Vinyl
    Hayward Swimpro VoyagerPump
    Vision Nature2 Chlorinator

Re: Pool Pump Running Time 24/7 or not

Just run it long enough to keep the pool clean to your liking. There is no "requirement" per se.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

It's an experiment to see how long to run the filter. The pool installers told us 24/7, as well. But I only run it a total of 8 right now and it stays sparkly. I do have it broken up into chunks throughout the day, too.
    10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, AG, no clue on the pump size
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

mchldelf:

Here's a Pool School article on how you can go about determining the proper pump run time for your pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../pump_run_time. This is the method I used to determine pump run time.

Since switching to BBB, I have been able to reduce my run time from a peak of 10-12 hours down to 5-6 hours using the same pump & filter. Even after you determine what works best for your pool, you may have to make adjustments for factors such as high bather loads, heavy rain (which washes debris out of the atmosphere), etc.

As for breaking the run time into multiple chunks vs. one continuous run, that's up to you. At a minimum, you want to aim for one complete turnover of water daily. The amount of time necessary to do this depends on your pool/pump/filter combination. For example, my run time would increase if I replaced my current 1-speed pump with a multi-speed pump and ran the new pump at a lower speed to save on electricity.

Now that we are approaching the peak of high water temperatures (for my pool based on logs I've kept over the last 2 years), I manually run my pump for about an hour or so in the early evening so I can run daily chlorine & pH tests while there is still some daylight and dose as needed. Pump will come back on around 1 AM and run for another 4.5 hours. By having a majority of my pump run time during the cooler temperatures of the wee morning hours, aeration from the waterfall spa into the pool will keep water temp down a few degrees from what it would be otherwise. Once we get to Labor Day, I will probably go back to one continuous run from late afternoon through mid-evening.
    TFP Moderator 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, PoolMath, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is as important to your pool as water.

I do have a two speed pump and when I run it on high 24/7 I have to clean the filter twice a week or so, but on low running 24/7 about once a week. I think I will keep it on low 24/7 and see how I do.

I haven't completely started the BBB yet, but I am using bleach and I have already seen difference just with that.