Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

Backwash Question

So, I understand only backwashing when needed and agree with the concept why waste my perfect water.

I am using a Polaris 9300 Sport and a Catfish handheld to vacuum, so i don't suck the dirt through my filter to reduce backwashing. My pressure has not moved since opening(brand new pool, clear water from the fill) and i used the regular vacuum one time for the first cleaning (lots of red dirt/clay, lots of small cement scale etc.). Is there a time frame when i should backwash or just wait until the pressure goes up, it has not moved since opening (around 4 weeks). I will be adding DE to the filter once i get the CYA totally in line, I am edging it upwards to not overshoot. If my filter pressure does not go up should i just wait until the end of the season or.. that is probably just wishfull thinking.
    16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash Question

A lot of people only backwash once a year. If the pressure doesn't rise and the flow doesn't decrease, don't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you may just have really clean/balanced water like me I haven't backwashed
    Mine in over a month or so...even after vaccuming just have it all sparkling clean the TFP way and enjoy the ool.....
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

4. Back To Top    #4

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

Excellent, that is what i needed to hear. It is being enjoyed for sure.. I should probably post some pictures in the apropriate section.

16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00
    Sounds like you may just have really clean/balanced water like me I haven't backwashed
    Mine in over a month or so...even after vaccuming just have it all sparkling clean the TFP way and enjoy the ool.....
    Wish I had that luck. lol. We've had a few dust storms this last week. My pool turns brown. It cleans up easy enough but I've backwashed 3 times in 10 days. HA!
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.