Aerate water

Jun 25, 2011
Yeah.. I need/want to aerate my water, to raise the pH, doing everything right according to the calculator from now on. :) I can't think of a good way to do this however. I have a 1/4hp sub pump at my disposal, or I could just buy a fountain, but yeah might as well use what I have if I can. Does anyone have a link to a thread or any idea what I can do to get some aeration going?

EDIT - Oh dang my sub pump says specifically do not use in swimming pools :(

There are lots of threads with pictures of home built fountains. Use the search option at the top. Generally just some PVC pipe connected to your return.

Another option is blowing air into the water with a compressor.

I bought a 1/6hp submersible pump to drain half my pool water (err.. the first time). I recently used it again to get my salt/cya/ch down (drained about 1/2 again). After I found this site and figured out what all I was doing wrong I started trying to straighten things out.

I have a built in "aerator" but it doesn't do much as far as I can tell. It's a ~1/2" line with a semi-circle cut in an end cap, which basically makes a fan of water. I figured as long as I had dug my pump out of storage I could use it to aerate. I started with just using it on the 2nd step and letting it push the water up. I eventually got a PVC hose fitting, and a 2' piece of 3/4" PVC and attached it to the pump. I still have it on the 2nd step but I use that to aerate for a few hours each day. It shoots the water straight up a few feet. It's my poor man's fountain. :)

Not sure if my pump is rated for pools but it seems to do OK. Like I said I've used it twice to drain my pool and it's still going.

CLB

duraleigh said:
, to raise the pH,
How about 20 Mule Team Borax?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

I have, I'm following the pool calculator right now though, I only need to raise it .3

YippeeSkippy said:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/download/file.php?id=17737&mode=view

See if that picture helps give you ideas? I posted that a while back showing how Skippy fashioned the sump pump at one end of the pool while the other end has the fountain going.

I'm all for using what we've got and saving a dime :party:

That's what I'm talking about. :)

Here's what I made too aerate with.

43f2af56-5cce-eeec.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.