Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerate water

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerate water

Yeah.. I need/want to aerate my water, to raise the pH, doing everything right according to the calculator from now on. I can't think of a good way to do this however. I have a 1/4hp sub pump at my disposal, or I could just buy a fountain, but yeah might as well use what I have if I can. Does anyone have a link to a thread or any idea what I can do to get some aeration going?

EDIT - Oh dang my sub pump says specifically do not use in swimming pools
    30,000 Gallon, Above Ground, Vinyl, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerate water

There are lots of threads with pictures of home built fountains. Use the search option at the top. Generally just some PVC pipe connected to your return.

Another option is blowing air into the water with a compressor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's one I just posted today.

Very easy provided you have a spigot attached to your pump/pool piping system:

cheap-and-easy-aerator-to-lower-t-a-but-slow-going-t48638.html
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought a 1/6hp submersible pump to drain half my pool water (err.. the first time). I recently used it again to get my salt/cya/ch down (drained about 1/2 again). After I found this site and figured out what all I was doing wrong I started trying to straighten things out.

I have a built in "aerator" but it doesn't do much as far as I can tell. It's a ~1/2" line with a semi-circle cut in an end cap, which basically makes a fan of water. I figured as long as I had dug my pump out of storage I could use it to aerate. I started with just using it on the 2nd step and letting it push the water up. I eventually got a PVC hose fitting, and a 2' piece of 3/4" PVC and attached it to the pump. I still have it on the 2nd step but I use that to aerate for a few hours each day. It shoots the water straight up a few feet. It's my poor man's fountain.

Not sure if my pump is rated for pools but it seems to do OK. Like I said I've used it twice to drain my pool and it's still going.

CLB
    12,000 gal Plaster, Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward Super II, Sta-Rite HRP Sand filter, Hayward Ultra Vac, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

http://www.troublefreepool.com/downl...7737&mode=view

See if that picture helps give you ideas? I posted that a while back showing how Skippy fashioned the sump pump at one end of the pool while the other end has the fountain going.

I'm all for using what we've got and saving a dime
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

, to raise the pH,
    How about 20 Mule Team Borax?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    , to raise the pH,
    How about 20 Mule Team Borax?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    I have, I'm following the pool calculator right now though, I only need to raise it .3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/downl...7737&mode=view

See if that picture helps give you ideas? I posted that a while back showing how Skippy fashioned the sump pump at one end of the pool while the other end has the fountain going.

I'm all for using what we've got and saving a dime

That's what I'm talking about.
    30,000 Gallon, Above Ground, Vinyl, DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Aerate water

Here's what I made too aerate with.

16' x 32' rectangle with 4' radius corners.
    Approximately 19,200 gallons
    Hayward sand filter and pump
    ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit