Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green murky water

1. Back To Top    #1

green murky water

I've been a pool owner for 5 years and am struggling with getting my pool clear this year. I have an inground 16x30 pool. I opened it up just about a month ago and when the winter cover came off the water was clear but there was some sediment on the bottom. I was out of town for a few days shortly after opening and I've not been able to tackle what I think is an algae problem. We shocked the water and continue to use our daily dosage but the water isn't clear. I've had my water tested and all levels are the normal? Does it make sense to reshock or maybe add a super blue clarifier? I'm at wits end and have little free time to devote to my pool as I have 3 little kids. I look forward to any comments, thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: green murky water

The first thing we need is a set of test results and how you got them. Normal doesn't mean anything here.

By following the advice found here you will be able to maintain your pool properly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum

Read here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

Do you have a test kit? if so post a complete set of readings.

Read thru POOL SCHOOL upper left of page.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Post results and start reading Pool School (button at upper right). What you have done is NOT what we call "shocking" review these from pool school:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately, I do not have a test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by garret420
    Unfortunately, I do not have a test kit

Get one!

Seriously, best money you'll ever spend on your cement pond. Within a couple weeks your pool will look clearer than you ever thought possible, and you'll probably be able to guess pretty close what readings you'll get when you take them, and, more important, what you need to add. Skip the article in Pool School, best bang for the buck is at http://tftestkits.net You'll probably want the XL option, since you'll be clearing a swamp. I also could not go back to life without a speedstir, hint, hint.

Check out the first video in this thread - you can see from end to end! A testimony to self-testing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

had my water tested, attached are the results. Over the weekend on the recommendation for a highly respected pool and spa store in my area I added 3lbs of granulare chlorine, brushed the pool walls, added 32 oz of a algaecide, and added 4oz of a clarifier. as of this morning a see little to no improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

You really need your own good test kit.

In order to clear it up you're going to have to follow the shock process here and without a good test kit you're not going to be able to.

What was the ingredient in the granular chlorine?
    How do normally chlorinate your pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You really need your own good test kit.
    Let me reiterate what Bama said. You really really need a proper test kit. The TF-Test Kit is the best bang for the buck. Purchasing a proper test kit is the only thing this forum asks you to accept on faith. All other recommendations will be validated by results. If you really think about it and read Pool School, it becomes less of a faith based decision and more of a logical decision.

If you went into an automotive forum and asked what was needed to replace the oxygen sensor on your car, you would be directed to purchase an offset oxygen sensor flare wrench. There's no getting around that. A regular wrench won't work. Same thing with a proper test kit.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter