Caretaker 99, heads not popping up

Jun 29, 2012
I've got a Caretaker 99 inground pop-up system in my 10 yr old pool, and the heads are no longer popping up. The filter cartridges are clean, and the screen on the top of the distribution mechanism is clean. I just opened up the unit, checked that the gears are debris free, and spinning fine...re-assembled the system and have 20psi to 30psi going through the system as I dialed back the auxiliary returns, but still none of the 5 zones are showing any signs of bubbling, or water flow. Any ideas? Do I need to replace the 5 pistons perhaps? The pop-up heads seem to move freely when checked them manually.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

I had one of these systems at my last house, but was not there long enough to develop any problems. Sounds like you checked the "secret" screen in the distribution bubble ... many are not aware it is even there.

So you are seeing 20psi on the bubble? Does that gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Do you have separate wall returns to verify that water is moving through the rest of the system ok?

Hi jb,

Good question about the gauge.....but just checked the gauge and its at 4psi with the filter off...I do have a waterfall and a pool wall return with individual valves, and I can dial them both up and down, and with both nearly off & filter pushing 32psi I still had no pop-ups moving. With the others flowing about 1/2 open the filter is running at 20psi.

Well, sounds like the gauge is at least partially bad at the Caretaker so the reading are unreliable ... probably should replace it.

So you can close off the Caretaker and you get good flow through the walls/waterfall right?

I would say that something was clogging the pipe to the caretaker, but you seem to be showing a pressure rise at the bubble ... I am not really sure how the gearing and all could stop the flow.

Here is kind of a ridiculous test that may or may not tell us anything. If you take the pipe off the top of the bubble, and turn the pump on to that plumbing, does the water flow out of the pipe like mad? If so, that could rule out an obstruction between the pump and the bubble.

Yes, when I open the flow for the wall/waterfall they work fine and I can feel the water rushing thru the elbow and down into the bubble...its got to be going somewhere :)

What I'm wondering maybe is the water going into all 5 of the pop-up zones at the same time, so there's not enough preasure in any 1 zone to make the heads pop-up? Not sure what the normal function of those pistons is supposed to be, and can they be checked/tested to see if they're functional?

Unfortunately, I do not know the inner-workings.

I am thinking you are likely correct that the water is going to all the zones at the same time.

Here is a manual and there are schematics online. There is a 1-800 number in the manual you should be able to call and see if they can help with the next step. Report back when you figure something out.
http://www.poolinspections.com/manuals/ ... etaker.pdf

Sorry I could not come up with the fix. I see there are rebuild kits for sale less than $100 ... that may be the problem, but I am not sure what could happen to make them stop working.

assuming after 4 years of this post you found the answer to your problem. However if someone like me just moved into a house with a caretaker system and is having the same problem I am posting this reply.Had same conditions as mentioned in the original post in that heads were not popping up. Went on Amazon and purchased Zodiak Caretaker 99 rebuild kit and all is well now. Plenty of vids on how to rebuild it and it took about 30 mins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.