Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building your own chaise loungers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Building your own chaise loungers?

We have been looking at chaise loungers for our new pool and man I didn't know I was going to have to take out a loan to get a decently built lounger. Well my wife looked online and found these. I am attempting them this weekend since the pool build is still a week out. Anyone ever done anything like these? I have build cabinets, bars, poker tables, and am very good with wood so I don't think I will have a problem with them. Looks like all the materials will be about $50-60 per lounger so a whole lot cheaper than some of the ones we have been looking at. I will post some pics during the build at different phases.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/06/di ... ounge.html

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building your own chaise loungers?

Looks like a fun project to me. Paint or stain? Cushions or no?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

We have been surprised also how pricey loungers can be.............I like the simplicity of of those and can dress it up with some cushions......will look forward to seeing how yours comes out. My hubby might be building me some new loungers soon!
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Have not decided on paint or stain. I am leaning stain, wife wants to paint Them black and yes we will be putting cushions on them. It does look like a fun project. I love wood working anyways so should be a fun weekend project.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

Also was thinking wheels could easily be added. What I was thinking was building 4 of these and 2 that are doubled. Just double the measurements for a 2 person chaise.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, wheels would be easy enough to add to be able to move around more easily, and yes with the simple design, you could simply double the size.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm sure they will turn out great. We're going to take on an Adirondack project and build 2 of them, I think the plan is to stain them. I'm excited. (more so to be sitting in them)

I don't see how anyone could buy loungers or adirondacks for 100s when they can be built using instructions found online for a fraction of the cost.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been shocked at the prices of chaises as well. I found these plans and suggested to DH that he make me some. I was wondering how the plans compared. The back looks more in proportion to me.

I am curious how long it takes. DH is good at fabricating things but he did not seemed enthused when I showed him the plans!
    18,000 Gallons 16x32 In Ground Vinyl
    Purex Triton TR-60 Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1-1/2 HP (P/N 340039)
    MiniMax Gas Heater * Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend
    Coverstar Automatic Cover * Built in 1993

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Paper_Diva
    I've been shocked at the prices of chaises as well. I found these plans and suggested to DH that he make me some. I was wondering how the plans compared. The back looks more in proportion to me.

I am curious how long it takes. DH is good at fabricating things but he did not seemed enthused when I showed him the plans!
    Do you have a link to some different plans?

10. Back To Top    #10

http://www.thedesignconfidential.com/20 ... ise-lounge

Sorry! I forgot to paste the link.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think I like your plans better diva. May go with that one even though it will require more cuts. I like the fact that it does not have the big lip on each side like the one in the picture I posted.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is another set of plans. These are from Lowes. These plans have the pullout beverage holder (which I am sure can be added to any set of plans).

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea- ... r0510.aspx

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    We have been looking at chaise loungers for our new pool and man I didn't know I was going to have to take out a loan to get a decently built lounger. Well my wife looked online and found these. I am attempting them this weekend since the pool build is still a week out. Anyone ever done anything like these? I have build cabinets, bars, poker tables, and am very good with wood so I don't think I will have a problem with them. Looks like all the materials will be about $50-60 per lounger so a whole lot cheaper than some of the ones we have been looking at. I will post some pics during the build at different phases.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/06/di ... ounge.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those feet don't look like they could support someone my size. I think they should have used something much thicker otherwise they will end up breaking when someone puts lateral force on the chair when sitting down. Just a thought for your build.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah I think so also flippy. Actually think I am going with the 1st set diva posted above. Like the look of that one better buy the wife will have the final say on what I build.

15. Back To Top    #15

I might be getting close to convincing DH to build some for me after I told him he could make them out of teak! I am pretty sure a light bulb started to flicker, LOL.

I noticed the legs looked flimsy too. I do like the looks of the first set I posted. Maybe with the added beverage tray.

16. Back To Top    #16

Got all the wood cut for 1 lounger in an hour and a half with a miter saw. Costs right at $70 for all the wood, screws, glue, hinges, stain, and wood filler. Will start assembling in the morning. We decided to just do one to start to make sure they turn out how we want.

Here are a couple pics of the wood on top of all the pool equipment.

[attachment=1:1arx85i5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025606.060362.jpg[/attachment:1arx85i5]
    [attachment=0:1arx85i5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025617.994148.jpg[/attachment:1arx85i5]

Attached Images Attached Images

17. Back To Top    #17

What kind of wood did you decide on?

1.5 hrs to cut everything doesn't sound too bad. I can't wait to see a finished product!

18. Back To Top    #18

I used standard white wood because we will be staining them so I didn't go with any kind of expensive wood.

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but there is a great woodworking site that I love -- google Anna white - knock off wood. She has tons of free projects on there. (I have no affiliation - just love the site : )

Good luck
    Melissia

20. Back To Top    #20

Got a wild hair in my *** and decided about 1 this morning to start assembling. It is not to hard. Just make sure you get your frame square and the rest will fall in place. I also laid out some of the seat and it looks pretty good. Think it will look really good when we stain them with a dark stain.

[attachment=1:9dnux3pq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044529.566166.jpg[/attachment:9dnux3pq]
    [attachment=0:9dnux3pq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044554.708955.jpg[/attachment:9dnux3pq]

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast