Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liner Tear

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner Tear

I notitced a large tear in the bottom of our liner today when I was brushing. It's about two feet long. Is there anyway to repair?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    you may need the pool diver to do that
    what size and style is the pool ?

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm amazed that you have any water in the pool with a 2 foot tear. 2 feet? Really?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    It's actually more like three feet. I have not lost any water. It's a clean cut. I only noticed it when I brushed the bottom.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by all your parts
    you may need the pool diver to do that
    what size and style is the pool ?
    25k gal 18x36 Oval In-Ground. The cut is in the shallow end.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    It's actually more like three feet. I have not lost any water. It's a clean cut. I only noticed it when I brushed the bottom.
    You should be losing water. A lot. Are you sure it isn't a wrinkle?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    should be an easy fix just make a patch and put it on

8. Back To Top    #8
    I can peel the flap over.. so it's not a wrinkle.

9. Back To Top    #9
    It's not normal to get a tear like that in the bottom with a liner that's in good shape, so I suspect you'll be looking at a new liner soon.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10
    I won't be able to do it until next season. Installing the new heater this year was a big hit on the pocketbook!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Here is a pic:

12. Back To Top    #12
    Ouch! That jagged tear says the liner is brittle. It could be just a bad spot from where the previous owner let shock or pH adjusters settle on the bottom. You should be able to patch it. A local pool store might have a piece of liner scrap that you can use as the patch if you don't have any.

Boxer #100 is the adhesive of choice http://www.boxeradhesives.com/product/adhesive.html
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13
    Yea, I asked the guy who installed the heater if we should replace the liner (granted this was before the tear) and he said I am good for 3-4 more years. Guess not!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

My experience with patching a liner underwater says that will be INCREDIBLY difficult on a tear that big. The adhesive sets up too fast.

Secondly, I believe it may well be patched from the backside. There should be no water left in your pool with a hole in the liner that size. Something else is going on.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15
    Yea, I don't know. Like I said. It is not losing water. The tear was not there the other day. So it was either the polaris or brushing that caused it.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Well, I must not understand what I think I do about hydraulics. That water has an open path to the vermiculite bottom of your pool. That substrate is certainly not waterproof and should be absorbing VERY large amounts of your pool water until it's all gone.

I do not mean to be an alarmist but someone correct my thinking if there's a good reason for the water to stay in the pool.
    Dave S.

17. Back To Top    #17
    This is certainly not what I would expect to have happen. However, if there was something waterproof below the liner the weight of the water could be sealing the bottom against it. Regular concrete, while not truly waterproof, would be waterproof enough that it could maybe have this effect. More likely would be some of the foam padding products. If there is a "flap" of liner that can be folded back, it should be possible to see what kind of material is down there.

Neither a pool cleaner or brushing would cause a jagged tear like that unless there was already significant damage of some kind. They could, however, have completed tearing open a section that was on the verge of failing for some other reason.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18
    I just noticed the tear yesterday.. so maybe it is leaking and I just don't know it yet. I would assume if it leaks like you say it wouldn't take long to notice.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

I would assume if it leaks like you say it wouldn't take long to notice.
    Yeah, Justin, me, too. That's why I'm so puzzled.

If you had a concrete bottom, I guess I could understand the pressure from above is holding the liner tight against the concrete and the concrete is absorbing the water VERY slowly. That said, I've never heard of a liner pool having a concrete bottom so, if it's vermiculite, it should be sucking it up like a sponge.

Any indication anywhere that your liner is starting to float?
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20
    Below are more pics. It looks like a concrete bottom. It looks like it is getting worse. Of course me prying at it is not helping.

No indication of the liner floating anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast