Wanting to convert - Chlorine to SWG - best way? DIY ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A friend had their pool professionally converted to SWG after they drained & replastered. All I can say is WOW ! What difference to swim in. So nice on the skin. (I *am* curious whether the daily/weekly/monthly testing is the same though - or more involved or more frequent).

So if we were to convert our existing IG Pool to SWG, are there step-by-step guidelines or documentation anyone can point me to that describes how difficult this is to do? From what I've seen, it requires a "cell" and a special "pump", right? Sounds easy enough to cut the PVC and put this in-line, right? Then there's the whole BBB balancing act to follow of course. From what I've read here, no need to drain the pool to do this - just convert, test, and adjust.

thanks in advance

This is really not a conversion, but a chlorine methodology change. The SWG makes chlorine from salt water.

1. Add SWG to return side of pool filtration
2. Add a bunch of salt to your pool (3000 ppm or so) via Pool Calculator
3. Run pump for 24 hours
4. Turn on SWG
5. Test

Testing involves adding an additional test for Salt, but you do not have to do this very often, as the chlorine generated turns back into salt, which is part of the beauty of the system. CYA needs to be somewhere between 60 -80, as the chlorine dose from the SWG is low and steady, so you want a fair amount of CYA protecting the chlorine long enough to sanitize your pool.

We recently went through this conversion, and have been happy with it thus far. Water is very soft. Chlorine levels are fairly low. We have had to watch the PH, as it has tended to creep up a little these first few weeks.

Yea, I get that ... Thanks again for the direction and help .... Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm ... I guess we'll make a decision at some point .. Likely just deal with it as regular Chlorine pool this year and get used to the testing & balancing of chems .. then revisit this next year.

cody21 said:
Yea, I get that ... Thanks again for the direction and help .... Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm ... I guess we'll make a decision at some point .. Likely just deal with it as regular Chlorine pool this year and get used to the testing & balancing of chems .. then revisit this next year.
That could be a profit margin motive for them....meaning once up and running what do you need them for?!?

cody21 said:
Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm
You will find many users of them on here and not many will agree with those peeps. There are not many drawbacks, on is if you have soft stonework around you pool, then they are not a good choice...ohhh, and the initial cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.