Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wanting to convert - Chlorine to SWG - best way? DIY ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanting to convert - Chlorine to SWG - best way? DIY ?

A friend had their pool professionally converted to SWG after they drained & replastered. All I can say is WOW ! What difference to swim in. So nice on the skin. (I *am* curious whether the daily/weekly/monthly testing is the same though - or more involved or more frequent).

So if we were to convert our existing IG Pool to SWG, are there step-by-step guidelines or documentation anyone can point me to that describes how difficult this is to do? From what I've seen, it requires a "cell" and a special "pump", right? Sounds easy enough to cut the PVC and put this in-line, right? Then there's the whole BBB balancing act to follow of course. From what I've read here, no need to drain the pool to do this - just convert, test, and adjust.

thanks in advance
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wanting to convert - Chlorine to SWG - best way? DIY ?

This is really not a conversion, but a chlorine methodology change. The SWG makes chlorine from salt water.

1. Add SWG to return side of pool filtration
    2. Add a bunch of salt to your pool (3000 ppm or so) via Pool Calculator
    3. Run pump for 24 hours
    4. Turn on SWG
    5. Test

Testing involves adding an additional test for Salt, but you do not have to do this very often, as the chlorine generated turns back into salt, which is part of the beauty of the system. CYA needs to be somewhere between 60 -80, as the chlorine dose from the SWG is low and steady, so you want a fair amount of CYA protecting the chlorine long enough to sanitize your pool.

We recently went through this conversion, and have been happy with it thus far. Water is very soft. Chlorine levels are fairly low. We have had to watch the PH, as it has tended to creep up a little these first few weeks.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much .. (so much great info here ...) !!
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, you could add salt to get the same feel, but maintain as you currently are doing.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

I just wanted to eliminate the physical need to ADD Chlorine Bleach ... yea, I get it that the by-product of the SWG is in fact Chlorine. thanks again.

6. Back To Top    #6

Compupool CPSC48 can be delivered for less than $750. I did then install in about an hour. Here's the link of my install: cpsc48-install-mostly-new-reports-of-pool-conditions-t32089.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cody21
    yea, I get it that the by-product of the SWG is in fact Chlorine.
    I wouldn't call it a "by-product"...chlorine production is the reason to install a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yea, I get that ... Thanks again for the direction and help .... Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm ... I guess we'll make a decision at some point .. Likely just deal with it as regular Chlorine pool this year and get used to the testing & balancing of chems .. then revisit this next year.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea, I get that ... Thanks again for the direction and help .... Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm ... I guess we'll make a decision at some point .. Likely just deal with it as regular Chlorine pool this year and get used to the testing & balancing of chems .. then revisit this next year.
    That could be a profit margin motive for them....meaning once up and running what do you need them for?!?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Chatting with the previous Pool Maintenance peeps they are clearly against SWG systems .. Claim they're more trouble than they're worth .. hmmm
    You will find many users of them on here and not many will agree with those peeps. There are not many drawbacks, on is if you have soft stonework around you pool, then they are not a good choice...ohhh, and the initial cost.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.