Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It's Hot in Georgia.

1. Back To Top    #1

It's Hot in Georgia.

Temps are in the 100s with the heat index. Its 2pm and the pool is 94. I bought a new thermometer last weekend when it was reading in the 90s because I thought it was broken. Turns out it wasn't haha. Any ideas on how to keep the pool cool? Its getting a little too warm to swim in. Do fountains really help? Also, I seem to be loosing about a 1/2 - 1in of water a week. Is that just normal evaporation?
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: It's Hot in Georgia.

Running an aerator fountain at night awhile works wonders. Just watch your PH.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Man has it been hot!!!!!!!!! There are a couple of good threads here on the fountains. I'm going to be building one this weekend, my pool too is 94 which is too hot however i do like it at night, i'd prefer 91.

questions-on-building-a-pvc-fountain-t48562.html

I like that guys design, i want something that rests on the side of my pool i think it would be less likely to get broken off by the kids.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

I also think your water loss is just evaporation, it doesn't sound excessive to me. Right now I am adding water once or twice a week myself.
    27000 gallon
    inground
    vinyl
    sand filter Hayward Pro Series S244T
    pump Hayward 1.5 HP SER. 2011CH
    gas heater Hayward H 350 FBN

5. Back To Top    #5

We have been in a drought in Northwest Indiana, and I have been adding water about 5 days out of the week..........we just finally got some rain last night and today .....YIPPEE ! So I would guess yours is evaporation also.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's Hot in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Do you know if running 4 deck jets would have the same affect? We are fixing to start building our pool and are installing deck jets in the concrete. Being in Alabama the heat is terrible down here at times and just looking ahead at cooling off the pool.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

7. Back To Top    #7

106 is what Wunderground.com says I've got beading down on me.... The air conditioning man came out this morning for our summer tune up and the poor guy had to go up into the attic and below the crawl space to inspect.

We're gonna finish up some work here, fix ourselves some adult bevs and melt into the pool.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    106 is what Wunderground.com says I've got beading down on me.... The air conditioning man came out this morning for our summer tune up and the poor guy had to go up into the attic and below the crawl space to inspect.
    That's what they get paid to do We will be having our freon topped off on Monday.

We're gonna finish up some work here, fix ourselves some adult bevs and melt into the pool.
    I can't wait to get home.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by carterj92
    Temps are in the 100s with the heat index. Its 2pm and the pool is 94. I bought a new thermometer last weekend when it was reading in the 90s because I thought it was broken. Turns out it wasn't haha. Any ideas on how to keep the pool cool? Its getting a little too warm to swim in. Do fountains really help? Also, I seem to be loosing about a 1/2 - 1in of water a week. Is that just normal evaporation?
    FWIW, my local pool store gives away blocks of ice to customers. If no such thing is near, bite the bullet and buy a few cubes, (or dry ice!) it helps.

Yep the water loss is inline with evaporation during hot weather

Enjoy
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    FWIW, my local pool store gives away blocks of ice to customers. If no such thing is near, bite the bullet and buy a few cubes, (or dry ice!) it helps.
    I'm honestly surprised they don't offer you a discount on a $60+ (PVC) "Pool Chiller."
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

11. Back To Top    #11

We had 108 in the shade 2 days ago. It only hit 101 today. Glad my pool is going in soon. It ought to warm up quickly.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow, today's pool temp was...unexpected! I didn't open up the automatic cover until about 2 pm as Skippy was working around there in the yard. Opened up the pool in 106 degrees sunny temp and by 4 pm we jumped in. The pool was about 1/2 shaded by then. The top foot or so of water was almost spa hot and the lower water was downright refreshing and cooler feeling than its been all week! I usually open the cover earlier in the day so I wonder if it acted like an insulator more than a heat trapper? I dunno... once we splashed about and mixed it all up the temp in the water was 90.

Note to self-must research this odd phenomenon more!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow, today's pool temp was...unexpected! I didn't open up the automatic cover until about 2 pm as Skippy was working around there in the yard. Opened up the pool in 106 degrees sunny temp and by 4 pm we jumped in. The pool was about 1/2 shaded by then. The top foot or so of water was almost spa hot and the lower water was downright refreshing and cooler feeling than its been all week! I usually open the cover earlier in the day so I wonder if it acted like an insulator more than a heat trapper? I dunno... once we splashed about and mixed it all up the temp in the water was 90.

Note to self-must research this odd phenomenon more!
    I've written about it. Run your pump with cover on and full sun it will heat up more cause water circulates up against hot cover. Turn pump off top 1' of water will get really hot but bottom will stay cooler. I've been running my pump 24/7 for a couple days to clear up my DE spillage and my temp is 96! Building a PVC fountain tomorrow to cool this sucker off!!!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I went and bought a few bags of ice this morning to put in the pool. I think it did help some. 103 today... fun. I hope the waterloss is just evaporation. I'm hoping our 5yo intex doesn't take the plunge till after this season. WE need RAIN soooo bad. I think its been 2 weeks, maybe longer since we've even had a light shower. I expected some thunder storms with all this heat though.

15. Back To Top    #15

Gosh it's hot today! Got a prototype fountain running right now, let the rain fall in a bucket and took its temp... 87 down from 91...3-4 degree temp loss pretty good bit what do I know. Feels like standing in a cold shower in the hot pool. Don't know the flow rate so can even hazard a guess how long it would take to actually drop the pools temp any. Well check late tonight and see if the temp loss is any greater, should be 70 late tonight.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

We're in the pool most of the day because of our AC problems. Thermostat is set to 68 but it can't manage to keep the temp under 78-80. Our unit is way too small for the size of our home. We're just going to run the one we have into the ground I guess and do some improvements this winter. I don't our unit has cut off in the last few days. I'm expect another $500 powerbill for July!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Do you know if running 4 deck jets would have the same affect? We are fixing to start building our pool and are installing deck jets in the concrete. Being in Alabama the heat is terrible down here at times and just looking ahead at cooling off the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea. I think the idea is to get the water into a fine stream and the separate out into little droplets to maximize cooling. Are the deck jets putting out large streams of water? Maye you could put diff nozzles on them? I don't think it would hurt maybe increase evaporation.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter