adding almost a full bottle of bleach a day..???

May 29, 2012
Atlanta GA
Pool has been looking great since finally getting it all clear :party:
I got the CYA up to 50, and still am adding almost a bottle of bleach a day. Is this normal to burn through bleach that fast? Everything in the pool is level, just the low chlorine reading in the evening when I test the chlorine level. The pool gets full sun for about 5 hours a day, the partial shade the rest.

Also now that it is nice a sparkly I have noticed that the sides seems to be discolored. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it still looks like there is a light green algae growing. How often do you have to replace liners? We had and awful install, so the bottom has never been smooth, but now there are spots where its like walking over a washing board, and one spot that looks like it has been stretched or completely bleached out. So I'm thinking that next year I will have to invest in a new liner :cry:

If you have algae growing, then that could be the primary reason for chlorine consumption. Please post full test results and we will give you advice from there. Sounds like a shock might be needed.

A 96oz bottle of bleach in that size pool is just under 3 ppm loss per day. That's not bad. You might bump your CYA up to 60 ppm and see if you can get to 2 ppm but that's about as good as you can do. Also before I bumped the CYA up I'd run an OCLT to make sure you don't have something else going on.

I run my CYA at 60 ppm in order to get down to a 2 ppm per day loss, with the knowledge that if I ever need to shock I'll just drain about one fourth of the water before shocking.

As to your liner issues, have you dropped a chlorine puck? I know my liner was ruined when this happened last year... and my BIL "maintained" my pool for me a couple years ago and I had several other spots that were damaged by chemicals. Some areas "alligatored" (squares of wrinkle) others were just discolored. I changes my liner this year. It was $200 for the liner and I did the labor. I wished I had heard about putting insulation sheets under the liner before I finished changing it. As it is, I have a couple rocks that have surfaced under the thing liner pad I installed.

If your TC=0... add another bottle ASAPractical.

I know when my CYA was low earlier (~10) this month, I was burning through at least a gallon a day of 6% all due to the sun and play. I am down to 1/2 gallon per day and my CYA is closer to 30 and the weather is cooler... but there have been more kids in my _ool... as I know they added the other letter.

I tested last night and found that my FC loss was 3.5 with intense full sun and no use.

I thought it was 5, but maybe it only hits 5 when it gets a good amount of use. I looked over my spreadsheet and my loss estimates seem to range from 1.7 with the solar cover to as high as 5.5 on really hot days with use.

My CYA is at 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.