Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why does my pH keep creepin up???

1. Back To Top    #1

why does my pH keep creepin up???

Hi everybody...well off to a great summer here so far...got my swamp mess cleaned up from a nasty fall..and my pool has been doing very well. However, one issue I am having that I have NEVER head the past 3 years is pH creep.

my params are: ( I use a SWCG)

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    pH -7.8 (currently)
    CYA - 45 (I know it's a tad low for a SWG setup..but I am slowly raising it, just don't want to overshoot)
    Temp - 82 F

I lowered my pH two days ago with Muriatic Acid, down to 7.2, and it constantly creeps up. today it's at 7.8, and if I test again tomorrow it'll most likely be 8.0 or a tad higher.

Why's it doing this???

Thanks
    Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why does my pH keep creepin up???

What's your TA level?
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Most likely a combination of high TA and the SWG

Is the SWG new this year? Did you use pucks last year?

Post CH and TA - might give some insight
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll check my CH and TA this morning and post back...I've had a SWG for 3 years now..and I've NEVER used pucks.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

some new numbers from this morning:

TA = 220 (yep high)
    CH = 120 (I'm not really worried about this number, since I have a vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you found the answer - high TA. It's going to take a lot of acid to get rid of it. Either keep lowering pH and let it run its course, or lower pH and aerate vigorously. Then repeat as needed. Same amount of acid, just in a smaller timeframe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard....I think I'll just turn my return up into the air, so it splashes and breaks surface..and then keep my pH low (6.8-7.0) I have 4 gallons of Muriatic sitting here, so acid additions won't be a problem.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    Richard....I think I'll just turn my return up into the air, so it splashes and breaks surface..and then keep my pH low (6.8-7.0) I have 4 gallons of Muriatic sitting here, so acid additions won't be a problem.
    Try not to go below 7.2. The lower pH you're suggesting probably won't harm any equipment, but it's rough on swimmers' eyes. And perfect pool chemistry isn't just for show - it's for swimming!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

You could ask your water company if they have changed source water recently. It may be that TA was lower in the past. They will know.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

WHOOO HOOOO....well after about 3 weeks of aerating my pool and continually adding Muriatic acid to keep my pH at 7.2...my TA is now successfully down to 100ppm!! I was shocked when I tested this morning and the test started turning red on about the 8th drop of solution!! Yippee!! So happy to have it down after a battle of high TA for two season now.

Dan