Pool Calculator

Jun 28, 2012
Michigan
Hi all, I've been reading a LOT on this site - Thanks for that!

However, I can not get to the pool calculator. I keep getting an 'access forbidden' page when i click any link that says 'pool calculator' - right clicking, copying, and even typing the address in all get the same 'access forbidden' page.

I also have a few questions.

1. I have an 18' round metal framed Intex brand pool. Does my pump need to be on all the time?

2. My kids are having trouble breathing in the pool - a couple of them have asthma - what is the safest level to keep the chlorine? A new study says to keep it at .5ppm - here's the link for those interested: http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/200406 ... ng-trouble

3. Is it a good investment to get a salt water pump for this kind of pool? We intend to winterize it but we live in Michigan (freezing weather in winter) so we're not sure how its going to turn out.

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to TFP.

The pool calc should be up now. Try it again.

1. It depends. If it takes that to keep the pool clean then, yes. Most people can get by with much less run time than that.

2. You most likely have CC's and that's why they have problems. If you'll keep reading, especially Pool School, and get a good test kit so you can properly maintain your pool I bet they won't have a problem at all.

3. A lot of people upgrade the Intex filters to the 2650 sand filter/pump/swg combo and love it. It would be a good upgrade for you.

The paper on asthma and chlorine was presented by Arthur J. Williams, MD at an ACSM conference, but was never published nor peer-reviewed and I cannot find the original paper (only summaries of it on a variety of websites). I strongly suspect that it measured chlorine levels in commercial/public indoor pools that were not using Cyanuric Acid (CYA). You should know that the minimum level of chlorine recommended on this forum for pools without saltwater chlorine generators is equivalent to a Free Chlorine (FC) level that is only 0.06 ppm if there were no CYA present. This is 16 times lower than the 1.0 ppm that reportedly had problems and 8 times lower than the 0.5 ppm level that had far fewer problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.