Hello Everyone!

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Hello - I have been reading and reading on this forum for a few days now (many hours!) and learning as fast as I can. I have asked a few questions about pumps and pressures, but I think I need to start at the beginning.

1) Hello to everyone here. Fantastic forum. I am ordering my TF100 kit tonight and can't wait to use it! I think I will get one of the mixers as well if only for the mad-scientist-coolness factor! :twisted:

2) I just filled my pool on Monday with a tanker. Got my water tested at a pool store (a day before I started my reading here) and the chlorine was 0 (as expected). They gave me a fancy print out, explained it well, and said...

I needed to add 12L of muriatic acid to drop the pH and 1 container of stabilizer to get my CYA up. They said to pour the MA into columns in deep still water and leave it for 30 mins to drop the alk levels and not just the pH. They said to put the stabilizer into the skimmer and let it go through onto the sand in the filter then not backwash for 2 days.

I have done this yesterday, but not tested it again since.

Lastly, they suggested I put my SWG on high to start making chlorine and get it up.

From what I have been reading here, I want to prolong the life of my SWG, I don't want to run it on high to do this. I thought I would just add bleach to bring my FC level to 4. ThePoolCalculator tells me that for 78,800L of water to go from 0 to 4 FC will be 5.1L (1.8, 96oz jugs) of 6% bleach.

This is the first time I have added much of anything into my pool.

Is this all a good start... and should I go ahead with the bleach? (without fear of screwing something else up?)

Thanks everyone! I hope I can contribute here as I learn more!

Test your pH right now!!! Adding 12L of muriatic acid to your pool would have lowered your pH by about 4 pH and your TA by about 80 ppm!!!

1. The Speedstir is more than just cool. It's a necessity once you use it one time! :twisted: P.S. The TF-100 isn't available in CA. Just be aware of that.

2. If you've already put the acid in the pool, that's fine but pouring it in a column is wrong and can damage your pool. Next time just pour it in front of a running return. If you've put the CYA in the skimmer, that's fine too, just don't backwash for a week.

3. I'd suggest using bleach just like your plan to bring up the FC. then just turn the swcg on normally and let it keep up.

4. 5.1 L is what I get too. It's fine to add it in front of a running return. That much isn't a problem.

You should go ahead with the bleach.

So, I tested the water (having added 12L muriatic and 4lbs 5oz Aqua Stab the day before) and got:

pH - 7.2 (down from 8.4) - good
Alkalinity - 170-180 (down from 245) - good
Chlorine 0 - I don't know if the test kit did FC, CC or TC

I have now added 5.1L bleach of 6% to drag FC up. I will let the filter run 24 then get it tested again at the pool store to see their result difference.

I think I am close!
Josh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.