Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap and easy aerator to lower T/A (but slow going!)

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap and easy aerator to lower T/A (but slow going!)

I needed to lower my T/A but didn't have adjustable return jets that I could point up toward the surface. Someone in here suggested that if I had a spigot attached somewhere along my pump/filter lines I could use that. As luck would have it, I did have a spigot in place and I set up a low budget aerator. Here it is in all of its glory:

I just cracked the valve on the hose open a bit to blast a fine mist out over the pool.

It's hardly a quick process, but my T/A is coming down:

Date.....T/A

5-13.......210
    6-3........180
    6-10......170
    6-17.....160
    6-23.....140

Just a little FYI for anyone out there with a similar problem.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap and easy aerator to lower T/A (but slow going!)

At least the acid is handy to lower the PH back down!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep! It's a two for one shot with that photo!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a squeeze-to-spray type hose nozzle? I bet if you put that on there and pointed it straight down, it would work even better!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Once I finally get our pool up and hard plumbed I'm planning on using an old shower head we have laying around for aerating and water feature duty. It's one of the adjustable type with pulse and different sprays. It had started leaking and the DW bought a new one. After I replaced it I found what was wrong with it and it should work as good as new. If not we still have the original shower head that was never installed when we built the house, it just doesn't have all the fancy features. I've seen several threads about drilling pvc to create water features, but decided not to reinvent the wheel.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    I've seen several threads about drilling pvc to create water features, but decided not to reinvent the wheel.
    Yeah, I saw them too and probably would have gone that route, except I don't have any threads on my return lines, just smooth pipe. I couldn't figure out an easy and effective way to attach anything onto the return so I went the hose route.