Suction leak or not?

Mom5

Jun 10, 2012
Hello,
I have a 18by36 inground pool Loosing about 1 1/2 in or so A day thought I would let it drop. Dropped just below skimmer. Dye test using dye syrup mixture around skimmer has had no result as water has fallen. I have been all around the pool for hours daily looking for leaks. My question is if I fill the skimmer basket area with water until it holds should it hold if there is no leak? We ran a pressure test and the skimmer line would not hold pressure. There was no air comming into pump basket when pool was leaking. We are now running from the main drain. Would there always be air with a suction side leak? Not using skimmer for days and having windy weathering need to vacum. Can I attach pole vac to main drain?
Thanks for reading.loosing mind from this :hammer: anigma.

Your are correct. If you fill the skimmer with water it should stay full. If it leaks down there's a leak below that point. Also, if the skimmer line wouldn't hold pressure and you're fairly sure the plugs weren't leaking then you have a leak. A suction side leak will almost always leak air in when the pump is running.

You may be able to hook a pole vac to the MD but it would probably be easier to rig up a way to hook it to the suction of the pump. If you can post a pic of the equip pad and pool we may be able to offer some suggestions.

Thank you,
I can see water about 18in below water level in skimmer line. We could not hold pressure while pressurizing the lines last night. Pressure went thru jandy valve and came out main drain on pool floor. Husband then removed jandy valve and tested with pipe plugged. No pressure. With the pump off while dye teating dye would go in the skimmer dran when i put the dye over it not sure if being sucked or gravity :hammer: i am just puzzled because we don't get air in pump basket. There are a few crackes in the skimmer basket area i am going to caulk while the water level is down. Took photos but haven't figured out how to send from iPad to site

One thing Bama a suction side leak won't always present a air leak. It depends on how big the leak is and where it is. A main drain pipe won't present an air leak if it is close to the bottom of the pool until the pool pretty well drains down due to hydrostatic pressure, it will also make a difference on what backfill material is used. Dirt will help hold water around the leak so air doesn't get sucked in. Also Anderson Leak detction says you can't pressurize a line with water and air, has to be one or the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.